V-6 to T-90 Bellhousing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

V-6 to T-90 Bellhousing?

The old 4 banger 'Hurricane' is shot in my CJ-6 and I'd like to try the popular Buick V-6 swap into it.
Is there a stock bellhousing that mates the V-6 to the original T-90 three speed trannie ... or to a newer, better trannie that will also mate to the Dana 18 TC?

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: V-6 to T-90 Bellhousing?

If you want to install the V6 like the factory did it, then you need the 66-70 V6 bellhousing and clutch. The factory used an adapter (cast iron) to the T-86 or T-14. Pick up the adapter, and also the long trans input shaft (from early wagons and pickups), and your T-90 will bolt up. You will see that the factory adapter needs to be drilled and tapped for the T-90. (This was very commonly done, way back when, and you may get an adapter that is already drilled for the T-90.)
It's a different ball game, if you want to ask about later and sturdier trans'. Someone else might post, or your might call AA for advise. (805-238-7000) There is possibly an 'in-between' answer... Some folks might say that the T-15 (72-75), or the T-150 (???) (76-79) were possibly the best of the factory trans' that will bolt in without expensive aftermarket adapters. For a granny-low, I like the T-18, and it is possibly the best/easiest-install. The T-18/T-98 was a factory option for many years, up to about 79. And, AA can advise you on the Ford pickup T-18 conversion.

bobH
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:43 PM
Nickmil

Try R&P at 503-557-8911. They build a toploader 3 speed modified to fit GM bellhousings with a 1"
steel adapter that will bolt into your 6 with no driveline mods if you keep the transfer where it is now.
I don't know what they cost but give them a call. The toploader is a lot stronger than the t-90. Good
luck. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could you be more specific??? LOTS of trans' are toploaders, including the T-90, 86, 14,15,150,18, etc,etc. I (we) are curious about what it is that R&P is adapting-in, via a 1-inch adapter plate. The T-90 is pretty short (8.125-inch), and I do not see how they can find a 7-inch trans to add a 1-inch adapter to, and avoid any driveline changes??? My guess is that Jaffer will have to modify the driveshafts... it is almost a 'given'.
bobH

bobH
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:38 PM
Nickmil

Sorry, should of been more specific. I'm talking about Ford Toploader transmissions. There are several
variations but two in particular that pertain to 4 wheelers, the Rat and the Ran. One is the same one
used in early Bronco's. That is the longer one. The shorter one is the one I'm talking about. (I can't remember
which one is which). It comes out to be about 1/2" longer than a T-90 with the adapter Which means if
you have proper driveshaft lengths now you should not need to modify them. R&P modifies the front
of the case to bolt directly to a standard GM bellhousing with no adapter. It is considerably
stronger than the t-90 as the gears are a lot stronger. It is the same 3 speed used in early mustangs.
R&P sells them with the side shifter configuration or with the T-150 top that gives the shifter the same
configuration as the T-90. Give them a call. Good luck. Nickmil.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts, guys.

Since alternate trannies have been proposed to replace the marginally good (I have read) T-90 three speed, will any of the alternates hook up to the OEM off-set output Dana 18 TC without an expensive adapter?

T-14 Yes. AA adapter to V-6 needed?
T-18?
T-50?
T-86 Yes. AA adapter to V-6 needed?
T-150?
The 'run/ran' Adapters needed?

I won't mind shortening the drive shaft. Plenty of room there and we have a great driveshaft shop here in Farmington. The Jeep crowd have them well trained [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

At this point I am thinking restore instead serious off-roading or rock climbing. The V-6 swap is considered due to the shorter engine bay of the pre '70's models and the fact that it is (or used to be) a popular swap.
If I change my mind, I'd just gut the fire wall and put in a 350 Chevy...
Seems that might be a shame though...
Right now I am just wanting a fresh engine with some power with as few extremely costly modifications as possable.
I feel that a V-6 upgrade is a fairly acceptable mod and still keep it on the 'stock' side.
Plus, I still need to pour a bunch of $$ into the bottom of the CJ-7 and am not ready for a full tear down at this point on this new/old one.

I appreciate the responses!

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good info... Referring to the trans dimensions, listed in the back of the AA Buyers Guide, the T-86 or T-90, with the factory adapter, come out to about 10.5 (or 10.625) inches. The 'ran', is listed as the 'shorter', at 9.18 inches, and with a 1-inch adapter, is 10.18 inches. Can't do much better than that. The 'rat' is listed as only a half inch longer, so it should also work. I have heard favorable comments about these trans'. And their low-gear-ratio is at least as good as the T-86 or T-90, with the rat being 3.41, and the ran being 2.99. They are both all-syncro, where the T-86 or T-90 are not. (T-14, 15, etc, are all syncro)

bobH
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, but the Bronco used a Dana 20 t-case. This means that the Bronco trans' will bolt to a Dana 18 like you have. You need to be careful and get the correct bearing retainer for your particular t-case -- it should be the retainer that you already have. And, the t-case input gear has to be correct for your t-case, but also have the correct internal spline-count for whatever trans you use. Ford early Bronco uses 28 spline, and T-90 is listed as being 6-spline. I would assume that R&P would advise you on this.
All of the trans' you listed bolt to a Dana 18 or 20 t-case, some directly, some through a factory adapter. The T-86, 90, 14, 15 all bolt directly. The T-18 used a factory adapter (as I recall, about 1-inch), or if you are talking about the Ford (66-up pickup) T-18, they are usually installed with an AA adapter.
Please do not gut the firewall to put in a Chevy small-block. The 265/283/302/305/327/350/400 V8 Chevys all fit just fine, without denting or modifying the firewall. About the only Chevy caveat is the need for the 'short' water pump and pulley assemblies (pre-69), for fan and radiator clearance.
I will mention one other trans thought.... I work with a fellow who has a stock V6 Jeep, from the 66-70 era. He wanted to keep the original V6, but he wanted a small improvement in his gear ratios. He has a T-5 and a Dana 300 t-case (82-86 CJ-7). I know, the T-5 does not have a great reputation, but it is stronger than the T-86 or T-14 that he used to have. It is pleanty strong enough for this person, and for the V6. And, he gained the overdrive. And, he gained a better low-gear ratio in the Dana 300 (2.62) and a better low in the T-5 (4.03). These parts (used) are relatively inexpensive. Just a thought....

bobH
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 06:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey jaffer i would go to the bone yard and find a comando with a v6 and get the motor tranny combo for the swap. I did this in 52m38 and every thing worked fine. While your at it be sure to get the motor mount off the frame as these will be needed to mount the v6.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I have a bunch of parts for sale you maybe interested in. First off the T15 is a much better tranny then the t150. I have a t15 with bellhousing the the buick v6 out a 69 Commando that would make it a very factory looking swap. I also have a t90 that is already mated to a buick V6 using an Advance adapter. Finally I have an AA adapter all by itself. Personally I think you should give me your CJ6 but if you decide to keep it I think the T15 would be an easy swap and look pretty cool since it would have all come out of Toledo. Let me know if you're interested.
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode