Weber Carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weber Carb

I bought a weber carb with Chrome air housing. Their is no cover over the air filter, just the filter itself to stop water, mud etc.

Has anyone with this type of Weber carb with airfilter experienced any problems with water, or mud getting into the fibers and maybe even the carb? I know the air filter is a K&N I have a cleaning kit as my old filer was also K&N.

Thanks
Jason Thompson

Jason
'86 CJ-7
3" Rancho lift, 33x12.5 Pro Comp M/T,
4.10 Gears, and locker in front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Weber Carb

Treated properly there is no way anything can get past the K&N. It just gets dirty faster. I'm running the same setup, have been for over 2 yrs. with no problem, and most of my wheeling is done under very dusty conditions in the high desert of the 4 corners.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:22 AM

If yo do a search for Weber snorkel adapters, you will find a link to a site that has all kinds of adapters to put different filters on top of your Weber. Which model did you get- the 32/36 or 38?

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just ordered a K551 conversion kit yesterday. Was wondering how you like your Weber? Dis it imporve you overall engine performance and idle?

Lowrange
Email: [email protected]
87 Wrangler, 4.2L, HEI, BA-10/5, Procomp lift, Procomp 3000's, Superwinch
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like I said, I've been running a 32/36 for over 2 years, well worth the investment. I just got tired of battling the bbd. Throttle response is better, idle is better, I believe mileage is slightly better. One thing, the Weber is made to run at a lower fuel pressure than the Carter, your stock fuel pump puts out way too much pressure. You NEED a fuel pressure regulator, 2.5 lbs. is optimum. The regulator also helps a bunch with off camber running, keeps the fuel level constant. Some people run the Weber as low as .5 lbs off road, but I've found that 2-2.5 lbs is best.

Brad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:55 PM

Well, i would have to disagree with the requirement for a pressure regulator. I have been running my Weber for about 10 years without one, and it runs pretty well on sidehills, and amazingly well on steep inclines, you know, the ones so steep you have to step on your rear tire to get in or out of the drivers seat!
With the fuel return line on the filter, anytime the needle valve in the carb is closed, or even partially open, excess fuel is going to return to the tank. I could see where a FPR would help in situations where the return line or filter had some type of problem.
However, the Weber does have a widespread problem with running to rich on steep inclines. About 2 years ago, a bunch of people from all over put our collective heads together to solve this and formed what we called "The Weber Club"
First off, let's understand that Jeeps and the type of terrain we see are not what Webers are designed for-they are typically sport car carbs. Sports cars see alot of heavy accelleration, which requires a high float level.
Several of us found that by lowering the float level the tendancy to run rich or flood is eliminated. I lowered mine progressivly a couple of millimeters at a time(for the 38, the float level started out at 40mm closed, 50mm open) I think I went down to 35 and 45.
The difference is amazing. People think my Jeep is fuel injected because of the inclines I keep it running on!
Bob in MA

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bob, I got the same effect with the regulator, didn't even drop the fuel level. Those things aren't made to run at the higher pressure your Jeep puts out. Believe me, I messed with it quite a bit a couple years ago until settling on the BEST and easiest solution. The only time I ever have problems is when I let the filter get real dirty, starts to run a little rich.

Brad
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:31 PM

I could make my BBD idle smooth as a babies bottom...until it left the pavement. Then it wouldn't idle at all. The Weber never had this problem and I am absolutely thrilled with it! The jets have gotten clogged a few times (I play in the mud- stuff will find a way in there!) but the design makes it incredibly easy to take the jets out and clean them without even removing the snorkel- I love it! Purolator makes the easiest fuel pressure regulator to set up- just put it on 1- I think. (It has #s 1-5, and won't tell you what the pressure is [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]) Mine did give me trouble running on inclines.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not found how well my Weber, which is a 32/36, runs yet. I got it with my re-built engine. My engine has a RV cam in it and with my new carb I hope I can see a good difference. I have only taken it to 3000-3300 RPM so I can break in the engine.

When I floor it the carb will flood for a milli-second then run good. I imagine this is my float level? I didn't get any literature with my new carb. I ordered it from Top End Performance in California. $369 with 3 day UPS. It came as a complete kit with air assembly, ended up being about $15 dollars cheaper than FWP. And the FWP kit didn't come with the air filter.

And the idle is great!

Jason
'86 CJ-7
3" Rancho lift, 33x12.5 Pro Comp M/T,
4.10 Gears, and locker in front
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:42 AM

I am running a 32/36 Weber on my 88YJ 258, it runs so much better, it is like a different engine. My offroading is purity mild, I run the sand trails in the State Forest in West Central FL for the most part. I stay out of deep mud and water, so it is no real test of the filter picking up water but so far no problems.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode