OT another rattler! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 11:18 PM
sas87yj

OT another rattler!

wow!

i just went outside in the dark to water a tree and almost stepped on a baby coon-tail rattler!

another lesson learned- don't go without a flashlite![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i've killed many a rattler while working in the field and they always scare me!

now gila monsters- that's another thing. those guys are really scary!

i know- you guys with crocs and gators probably have some good stories!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:05 AM

Re: OT another rattler!

Check this out I posted these pics quite a while ago. But many of you may mot have seen them. I came acroos this snake coming down the Hill from Big Shuteye Lookout( a beautifull trail just outside of Yosemite, in central ca.). I thought I had ran the King snake(the big black one) over when I rounded a turn on the road to the highway. I was bummed that i may have killed him so got out of the jeep to investigate, when I picked him up he let a big hiss and proceeded to gag out an entire gopher snake almost as long as he was, then took of into the brush on the side of the road. The Gopher snake was dead. Pretty gruesome, dont you think?

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-222380-snakeatsnake.JPG (43.4 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hi sas87yj,my best story is, i live about 1/2 mile from the largest rattlesnake den in indiana.a friend of mine bought a new 15 shot,9mm,semi-auto,he wanted to bring over and show me.long story short,i had killed a 6 foot rattler and skinned it.got some 3/4 copper tubing and cotton and made me a mean looking snake looking like its ready to strike.i wrapped some washers to a pencil wrapped tight with a rubber band and put that in a envelope.when he opened the screen door,the washers started spinning making a rattling sound.hes a yelling snake,i turn on porch light,he sees my stuffed rattler,pulls the 9mm.starts shooting my porch all to heck,i am in tears laughing trying to tell him its a joke,he said something about my parents not being married when i was born,and he left.he refuses to come over after the sun goes down.i still laught at that.hope you enjoyed it also.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:12 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Rangerrick, that's a hilarious story! Sounds like something I might have tried as a kid, if we had snakes.

Never seen a poisonous snake, don't know that I care to. Not afraid of them, just leery.

I'll take the cold, the Bears, Moose, and the fact the sidewalks are rolled up at 5PM any day of the week, thank you, over the snakes, alligators, and spiders you guys have.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was on a trail in GW Forest and had a 8' diamond back rattler put a couple of holes in the sidewall of a brand new 33". Can you say dead snake.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:14 PM

Funny that this post came up. A co-worker's wife recently got bit by a rattler in her back yard. She had just delivered their second child a couple of weeks prior. Thank God for small favors, eh? After nearly being struck by a rattler while looking for a downed dove, (not one warning rattle) my friend and I were discussing what he could have done had he been bitten. It was about a 45 minute drive to the nearest town and he was by himself. Besides the obvious answer of never going out by yourself, we determined that we would do exactly the opposite of how we are trained to treat snakebite, ie sterile dressing, no ice, no restricting band, no suction. We even debated the merits of using the truck battery and some jumper cables to deliver shocks to the bite site. (Don't laugh, some of the same reasons elec. shocks are dangerous makes them usefull against hemotoxins) Given the same set of circumstances: no phone, no help, long drive, what would you all have done. We decided against the shocks on the grounds that driving out after would have been a problem, and couple of minutes would have been wasted thinking to yourself "What the hell am I doing with jumper cables?"

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

OK, so what would you do for a snakebite? I have no idea, and am curious.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:53 PM
sas87yj

yeah the old days remedy of slicing an "x" shape cut over the wound and sucking out the venom is no more.

best bet is try and remain calm-yeah right! and get to a hospital asap!

anti-venom etc at the hospital![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

if you are alone and have to drive-go for it.otherwise sit back and let partner drive.

try not to get excited and get your blood pumping too fast to the heart!

snakes suck!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:54 PM

goto the hospital, even better if you can take the snake ( without a bashed in head!) to the hospital with you, since most folks cant distinguish between a diamond back and a mojave, or a southern copperhead and a northern copperhead.

many people have very volient and painfull reactions to the anti-venins given by doctors, depending on the snake it mioght be better to let it run its course.

just leave them alone and the odds are you wont get bit!

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rangerrick...thats the funniest sh*t I've heard in quite a while [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode