Off Roading Forums banner

YJ keeps shutting off!

1K views 11 replies 1 participant last post by  Robert87yj 
G
#1 ·
My YJ keeps shutting off. I was driving last night and it shut off about a mile from home. It never did this before.
I popped the hood and messed with some wires, the two coil wires seemed a little loose, so I removed them and replaced them. I thought I had it fixed. Then today, twice it shut off. I tried the coil wires, no help, it just wouldn't start. After about 5 minutes of turning it over, it fired up and ran fine. I'm thinking it's electrical. Any help here would be great. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm learning fast. Ahhhh the joys of owning a Jeep!
Thanks for any help.

88 wrangler laredo 258, weber 32/36, tf999

G
#2 ·
Sounds like it could be the Ignition Control Module, located under the radiator overflow tank.
They are prone to failure, and the symtoms are that they quit when they get hot and then they work again after they cool down. It's not an expensive item, about $25, and even if it isn't that it doesn't hurt to have a spare,cause sooner or later your gonna need one. Although I'm 90% sure that it's your problem.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get

G
#3 ·
If changing the ignition control mod. is not it, a problem that I saw a few years ago may apply. In this case it was an AMC car. The car would die shortly after starting, and would not run again until it was cool only to die again. It turned out that the wire from the coil to the distrib. cap had a break in it that was fine while the engine was cold but when it got hot, the wire would expand and the damaged section would loose contact, stopping the motor. The fix was just a replacement wire.

It took some time to catch this one as when the engine was cold, everything checked out. The same effect could be happening to you in the same or another location.

Good Luck!
Kriss

G
#4 ·
My YJ did a smiliar thing (it's a 94)... It turned out that the distributor was cracked, and only worked when cool/dry. The difference was, it would run fine until I shut off the vehicle, and then it wouldn't start again. If I remember, it wouldn't even turn over.../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Do you ever hear a clunking from under the vehicle? if so, could be thta your cat backed up, which overheats the distributor, and cracks it (or the housing).

Just something else to look at. Distributors aren't that much more than the ignition module...
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...

G
#5 ·
My 83 CJ-7 did this exact same thing last week. I got out lifted the hood and messed with the plug wires and distributor. Got back in and it start and ran fine. The next afternoon while returning from lunch it did the same thing and I could not get it to start this time. I replaced the ignition module and it hasn't done it again. I am 95% sure it is your ignition module. I would get a new one and install it. I would also keep the old one and add it to your trail supplies these modules are known for this and the old will probable start working again and could get you home in a pinch. They are cheap and only take about 5 minutes to install.

#6 ·
Hey tnjeep, I also have an 88YJ 258, 999auto, 32/36 Weber and for weeks it would cut off and I would look for the problem and I changed the coil and ingnion module, but it still stopped. Finally it did in my shop at home long enough for me to find out the problem was a bad distrubator pick up, I had put a rebuilt distrubator on and it had an old pick up that was bad, when it got warm it would go out and then start working again when it cooled off. I hope this helps.

Happy Trails

G
#7 ·
Oh no, the troublesome 258. Even with a new carb they are prone to vacume leaks. That is where a majority of my problems have come from in the past before the engine rebuild and mods. I once had a problem with a magnet going out under the distributor cap. Everything would appear to be working but no spark past the distributor. Was the engine hot when it took a long time to start, knowing that might help diagnose the problem.

The problem with old jeeps it that it could be a lot of things. The best best tool you could have can't be bought, its called a good sense of humor. Did you give you YJ a nick name yet? Do you sit in it when it won't work just to keep it company, I have before and it seemed to help/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif. Though I don't know who it helped more. I'd sware that jeep knows when you are cussing at it.

Start paying close attention to what is happening, temp, voltage guage, etc. Was the engine cold when it has these problems. When do they happen mostly.

Hope this helps.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
4.2 w/(4.0 head & MPI)
Process of a moonguy after beer
/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

G
#8 ·
Well, I had this same problem last week. If you're just drving along and the jeep shuts off instantly, no sputtering, just cuts out, check the relays under the hood. Right near the battery is a box with relays. One of them is an automatic shutoff relay. Replace this relay and make sure the contacts in the box are clean. This is what was causing my jeep to die. Relays are cheap so it won't hurt to replace it anyway.

G
#10 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to start with the dist. I have a rebuilt GM HEI Lying in my shop so I guess it's time to finally install it. I've been waiting for a few days that I can work uninterupted on my jeep but this thing called work keeps getting in the way./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I'll also check the Ignition module on the left front fender, You never know. Once again, thanks for the help, any info is better than no info at all! This board is a huge asset for a jeeper, Not many places in the world can you get so much info for the price of an internet connection!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

88 wrangler laredo 258, weber 32/36, tf999

G
#11 ·
You should install the HEI right away. You will be glad you did. I just put one in my YJ last week and man, it REALLY works well!
When you go with the HEI dist. you will not need the ignition module that is mounted on your YJ anymore. The HEI has an ignition module built-in to the dist.

Lowrange
Email: lowrange87@yahoo.com
87 Wrangler, 4.2L, HEI, BA-10/5, Procomp lift, Procomp 3000's, Superwinch

G
#12 ·
Irregular idle most always will mean that you have a vacume leak with the 258

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
4.2 w/(4.0 head & MPI)
Process of a moonguy after beer
/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.