Drain holes in 'glass tub? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Drain holes in \'glass tub?

I was wondering if anybody out there with a 'glass tub has put in any drain holes. Currently there are none. I was hoping to cut/drill holes before coating with durabak, that way I can seal the edges of the holes. But I was worried about maybe giving cracks an easy place to start. Just trying to think ahead.... maybe over thinking.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 12:54 PM

Re: Drain holes in \'glass tub?

This is what I did, poor a gallon of water into the floor boards. See where the water collects. (the lowest point)and then proceeded to drill 3 1/2" holes in the floor. I've wheeled pretty hard, and haven't had any cracks.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just curious...why are you coating a fiberglass tub with durabak?

I did the same dump water in and check method...drilled 2 1/2" holes. No big deal. It's been 2 years now with no cracks.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:06 PM

I would have put larger holes also, but I only had a 1/2" drill bit. I've been to lazy to go get a bigger one. Oh well, maybe one day.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I was basically wanting to coat the tub to protect it best as possible. I was wanting to use the durabak as an undercoating and as a protection of the "cargo area". I have seen some other 'glass tubs with the paint rubbed away from tool boxes, etc. thrown in the back. I have easy access to the whole tub now. I didn't want to NOT coat it and wish I did later.....

Maybe I'm just an over protective dad.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I did the same thing to my tub. As soon as the truck dropped off the 'glass body, I uncrated it, stood it sideways, and undercoated the heck out of it. I hated that bubblegum pink color, and I wanted to protect the bottem from flying rock that might chip/crack the tub.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 10:17 PM

LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ON DRAIN HOLES in CJ`s(Jeeps in general)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] . There are TO MANY IMO . I just finished 2 1/2 months( 100 hours in all) of rebuilding the structural parts of my metal tub and especially in the rear floor where it had like 5 drain holes ( where all the RUST started) . When I finished putting in the new
( JEEPZILLA BRAND)rear floor and wheel houses and front floors I have 4 drains in all . 2 where the main roll bar rests on the floor ( factory spot) and 2 right in front of the front seats ( on the main lower floor pan) I did the water test too , and this is where it puddled , as far as the rear deck goes , its slightly angled towards the front now .
It will head straight towards the other two holes. I know this has nothing to do with your F/G tub but I think Jeep(or JOOP) tubs have to many holes as it is [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alec78CJ has a trick setup with his full rollcage with 6 point tie-ins to the frame, courtesy of himelf, FlMudCJ, and a little help from me. When he gets too much water in it, he just takes out one through bolt from either side of the front rollcage foot and parks the Jeep A$$ high on a curb or hill....works pretty well with his 'glass tub.
Oh, one word of caution, and i hope you see this, ALEC! REMEMBER to put the bolts BACK in before you go four wheeling again...you just may get STUCK without a WINCH in deep FL SwampMud and have water coming IN through the boltholes! Hahahaha, just teasing Alec there.....It wasnt MY feet getting wet!

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode