The Declaration of Independence - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

The Declaration of Independence

I found this on the PostalJeep.com website and knew you guys would like to see it:

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr, noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.

Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't fight just the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government!

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes this year while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

I hope you will show your support by please sending this to as many people as you can. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 04:15 PM
Addict

Re: The Declaration of Independence

Hear! Hear! And God forbid that any of you become "two holiday Americans" - that is, only thinking of those who faught and died for your freedom twice a year - on Veteran's Day and Memorial Day!

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forwarded this to the white house to klintons office.He said he never heard of the Declaration of Independance, but said he would do all he could to stop this nonsense about independance and bills of rights,and that he would have none of this nonsense while he was in office.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 12:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

here are a few more things to consider....

"the only reason for the existence of the soldier is to defend the principles that civilian society represents." -- Georges Clemenceau

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --John Stewart Mills

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Thomas Paine

"When even one American - who has done nothing wrong- is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril." -- Harry Truman

"When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical constitution with a radical bill of rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans... And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it. That's what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how we're going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities." -- Bill Clinton 3-22-94

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think we should all take a moment to thank AL GORE, because we all know without him, we wouldn't have an internet, and none of us would be here. HAHAHAHA

Mikey!

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 02:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by 45-auto

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 02:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Contrast those men, the founders, the patriots who literally sacrificed all they had, with William Jefferson Clinton: a lying pervert who demonstrated against this country and who sold nights at the Whitehouse to the highest bidder, like the cheap, corrupt, contemptible pimp he is.

Remember this when you vote. And remember whose ass Al Gore has been kissing for eight years.

And if you are not registered to vote, damnit, get registered!

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.
</font color=blue>
http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 02:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Horray for Al Gore!! Horray for Al Gore!! I love the Internet Al! You did great. How'd you come up with the idea? Did you pull the board out of your ass and it had the instructions for the creation of a world wide network? Or did Tipper think of it? You're the best Al Gore!! What would us cyberjeepers do without you?

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 02:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of a band called Rage Against the Machine? They're a very politically motivated band that's brings up a lot of issues in their songs. They did a video shoot a little bit ago outside of Wallstreet and actually had Wallstreet close their doors. Well, they have a new song out call "Testify" and they have a video for it. The whole video is based on Al Gore and George W. Bush and has video and audio clips of them saying things. You have to really see it to get the whole meaning. But at the end of the song, some text appears on the screen and it says something to this effect. "This election year over 100 million americans will not vote for their president....simply for the lack of a real choice." This is why I am no longer registering to vote. I see no canidates that stand up for anything I believe in. I don't trust any politions. They always show fakes sides during elections and come off totally different then who they really are. No longer can just anyone run for president. We're suppose to be a united country, but yet we have democrats and repulicans bitching at each other and about who's better....it's stupid! Sorry for this rant, but I just had to put something in after I saw 45-auto saying to get registered to vote. I by no means want to offend anybody, this is just my opinion....

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 03:14 AM
Way Outta Control

When the people of the US refuse to "Live" for freedom, they are doomed to become slaves. God has blessed this great nation or Clintion would have destroyed it by now.

As for me, and my house, we will live and die for freedom. May God continue to bless the US and its people. I'd urge you all to vote your conscience. It's the very least you can do, exersise your right to determine who will lead you. When there are more moral people amongst us, and we elect these people, we will get a more moral goverment. As a people, we get what we deserve.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode