blazer chassis - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

blazer chassis

I got to thinking, if I am going to run a chevy engine, tranny, and possible t-case as well as axles: Why not start off with a chevy frame instead of trying to make everything fit the old CJ frame? I was thinking something like an old blazer, and I know where I could get one cheap. What is the strength difference between a blazer frame and a CJ7 frame? Obviously it would have to be cut down but that might be easier than modifying the CJ frame. The blazer frame is already set up for spring over, and shackle reversal, and is probably stronger. Is there anyone out there who has actually done this or am I completely crazy here? If I decide to do this I might have a good CJ frame for sale...
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 06:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: blazer chassis

I've seen it done, but it looked terrible... I'm sure you could do a better job than this guy... he just left the front of the frame sticking out and mounted a cj body to the chevy frame.
the narrow cj frame has advantages. look at the fulcrum of the axles on a narrow frame.. the axles will articulate better when the spring perches are closer together. the chevy frame will require strange body mounts and may still look kinda odd in places wth the tub on. you would have to cut the frame down, and then you lose the rear mounts and have to make some anyway. sell your cj frame and put a yj frame under it for a starting point. i wouldn't run a chevy x-fer case, but thats just me, I like LOW range...many of the old blazer frames i have seen aren't boxed.. they are C-channel.. this makes life a little harder when fabricating stuff for it.
just my thoughts since no one else posted....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah i'd stick with a jeep frame and swap everything into it. i am not a big fan of the chevy x-cases either. the 205 and 203 are strong cases but they lack a decent low range. put it all in and swap in a dana 300.just my op.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

both cases have about the same ratio as a dana 20 which came in probably the majority of jeeps made, so make sure your comparing low range to a dana 300 if your saying the jeep case is better. Sorry, it's this stupid chevy blood I got in me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i just gotta stick up for the bowties [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

good point. i should have clarified myself but i was refering to the 300.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stay with the chevy stuff and forget about the high dollar adapters.I've seen the frame thing done, but like they said,it dont look right.It's very easy to put all that stuff in a jeep frame,plus you dont have to figure out how to mount the body.As for the c channel frame being hard to make stuff for.I think it's easier because you can drill it and get to the other side to put the nut on,at least if you break a bolt your not screwed!!!hehe!! Really though, stick with the jeep frame if it's in good shape.It'll save you alotof headaches.. I havent broke a 205 yet, but a 300 is week in comparison.Before I get flamed on that, take the front yoke off of a 300 and compare it to a 205.Tiny!! aint it!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 10:26 AM
cj7jeep

I am in the process of putting Blazer drivetrain in my cj7. Use the cj7 frame and just mount the front hangers outboard. The brackets are not that hard to do, just finished mine last weekend. I am also using the 350/sm465/np205 out of the Blazer. I don't rockcrawl so the np205 is perfect for me. Like they said above, no high dollar adapters. If i do break i can get parts anywhere. Here in Kansas Jeep parts are high dollar. Can email if you have questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode