temp for 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

temp for 258

Took the cj out for the maiden voyage and was wondering what temp everybody runs with a 258. Mine was running 210 on the highway, 180 on the backroads and 210 sitting in the driveway on a mid seventies day. I know my timing is off, getting a lot of spark knock cold or warm, i checked the distributor to make sure it wasn't loose, it wasn't but I wanted to see how tight it was and it moved so now I have to time it. Anyhow just wondering what everybody else is running. later ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: temp for 258

I'm not sure what temp mine runs, stock gauge is C and H with a green line in the middle. But, it ALWAYS runs right at the first part of the green line, I would imagine that is about 190 or so. BUT, the temp never varies, highway, around town, trail riding, crawling in 100 deg heat. I would be a little concerned about that great a variance in temp that you are experiencing.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 07:34 AM

Mine is the same...runs just barely on the green...I have a 195 thermostat and when I checked it with my wifes meat thermometer (dont tell) it read between 185-190...with a margin of error I'd say it is pretty close to 195.

78 CJ5 w/360
"measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

I have a mechanical guage hooked up to the plug in the block below the manifolds. On the highway it reads 210, driveway 195, and driving with the heater on 195. It has a new 195 thermostat installed.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Now I have mine hooked into the plug on the drivers in the back. Its an electric auto meter. I havn't had a chance to mess with the timeing(tomorrow) but i'm hoping it solves the problem. ken

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I drilled and tapped a hole on the radiator side of the thermostat housing and installed an Auto Meter electric gauge. There is a 195 degree thermostat. The engine runs right at 195 until I get to a good hill or the outside temp warms up as it tends to do in summertime Arizona. In warm to hot conditions, without the aftermarket air conditioner running, the temperature will climb to 205 or so and pretty much stay there. With the air on, climbing a long hill the temperature will hit 215 to 220. This new gauge pretty well agrees with the movement of the stock gauge. When I hit 220 the stock gauge is just at the right edge of the green, edging to hot. 195 on the aftermarket gauge tends to read just to the right of center on the stock gauge. Hope this also helps. BTW, this is on a fairly stock 1980 258, if that matters. John

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 08:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Put in a 180 degree thermostat, Mine with the 195 ran almost the same temp yours does put in the 180 and brought it down to a nice comfortable level so that I wasn't worried you can get them at autozone but you have to ask for it or they will give you the 195.

again this is just my .02

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I get the timing adjusted and still reaches 210 idleing, so I went the local junk yard and picked up a shroud, and I think i will try a 180 thermostat too. ken

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You didn't have a shroud!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] There's a huge part of your problem right there. That is one of the 3 most important parts of your cooling systme, fan, radiator, and SHROUD. Otherwise your fan is just spinning away serving no usefull purpose. Make sure ot fits snug, not a whole lot of clearance for the blades.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 11:03 AM

I am just wondering how hot is too hot for a CJ to run. I need to put in a mechanical guage, but for curiosity's sake, what temp is getting dangerous?

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode