93 octane in stock engine - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 01:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 93 octane in stock engine

I am not an expert on this, but have been told by numerous sources, running higher octane than what your engine requires is a waste of money. It will hamper performance and mileage. Find the fuel the manual recommends and stick with it. If a modified engine, find out which one works without detonation and stick with it.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 02:46 PM
Addict

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

.....the hot weather my Corsica ran like crap on regular and ran better on premium..... If you tow ........hill climb....dune..or operate a POS 88 Corsica 4cyl auto with the air on in hilly Penna rural/suburban traffic on 90 degree days ......you'll reap benefits in "drivability".......albeit at a price.

<hr></blockquote>

The hotter the engine's running, the more likely you'll experience detonation, even if the compression ratio is such that it's normally not a problem. Then the inefficiently-running tends to run even hotter, etc..... Lugging the engine (low speed, A/C, uphill) also hurts (think about it-- open throttle, more air/fuel into the slowly turning engine increases the cylinder pressure). But the statement (again, only for non computer engines) is still true-- "if it's not detonating, you don't need higher octane fuel."

My wife used to have a '69 Bonneville convertible with a 428 (I bought it for her birthday[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). In cold weather it ran OK on premium fuel, but in the summer you needed Sunoco Ultra (96 octane-- no longer available, I think) and a can of octane booster to keep the engine from practically leaping out of the hood.

-Dana

There is always a law against doing anything interesting.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 12:40 AM
FlMudCJ

Go to your local airport (the small one, not an international, or even one with a control tower) just your plain joe scmoe one runway airport, the one the airlines don't fly to (you get the idea) and buy yourselves a tank of 110LL [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is the BOMB fuel. Its 110 octane, unleaded gasoline. I saw a guy drive right up to the pumps and fill his rolls royce up... Its essencially racing fuel without the additives. And you want to talk about quality control, FAA is what I say to you.
I'm a pilot by trade, and our engines run 7.5 to 8 compression ratios, but because of the temperatures and conditions we're running these engines at, we need the 110. Plus detonation / pre-ignition are both killers in the air.... you can let off the gas when you hear a ping, but you really can't slow down much further than stalling...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 01:14 PM
Addict

I always meant to (back when we still had the Bonneville), guys used to bring their racing boats to the airport all the time (I'm a pilot too), but I never got around to it. Unfortunately, the 100LL the airport sold was way too much (lead fouling) for my 1941 Taylorcraft, which required 73 octane minimum. (!) I had to bring in car gas in cans.

-Dana

But, Officer, a broadsword is hardly a concealed weapon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode