Holy Cross Trail - CO - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Holy Cross Trail - CO

Wow, what a trip! I am a relatively new jeep owner, and am continuaously amazed at what my vehicle will accomplish. And I think I now have it figured out. Find a club, join it , and wheel your vehicle. With a good group of guys (re: spotters) and some ground clearance you have a very capable vehicle. Not to say that I don't want beefy axles and V-8 power, but I know now that I was spending too much time worrying about the equipment I didn't have, and not enough time learning to drive what I did have. With 2.73 gears and only a trac-loc in the rear, I drove Holy Cross cleanly, not winching or strapping once. O.K., the granny low (T_18) helped, along with some expert spotting (thanks guys).

Holy Cross is considered a very difficult trail, located near Vail, CO. It is an absolutely beautiful setting, with perfect weather and the Aspen turning, you just couldn't ask for more. The trail is 3.8 miles long and it took our party of six vehicles 8 and a half hours to get up and down. If you ever get a chance, this is a "must do" trail. A big thanks to the Big Horn Jeep club for all their hard work keeping the trail maintained and open. Can't wait to go back! Hopefully will have pics developed soon.

Max
Patrol 14, Mile-Hi Jeep Club

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 01:40 PM

Re: Holy Cross Trail - CO

I am lucky enough to live in Vail, Holy Cross trail is just awsome. Glad you had a good time, the trail has been run a lot this year and rumor has it that it will be closed soon for a few years to let the trail heal, it has been pretty worn out. I have not run it in my Jeepster yet, but a few years ago I took my 48 Willys up there bone stock, no winching or strapping either. One thing that needs to be improved is the road going up to the trail head! Talk about washboard!

John
I have the SM465! The SM is for Slow Mover, and the 465 is the wieght in pounds.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 07:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

I was left with the same impression as you last week. We were lucky, as nobody else was on the trail, and only shared it with a couple of hickers. I slipped off one of those large boulders just above French Creek, it was probably driver error, but I am blaming it on my bald tires. I almost thought of going back this weekend, but decided to do Hacketts Gulch on saturday, it is only about 45 minutes from the Springs. So, what did you do about your dog?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

We only encountered three other jeeps and a few hikers. My plan for the dog was to use a lead harness attached to a short nylon leash and then attached underneath the pass seat. The back was full of camping gear; But, as we started the trail a late ariving member of our group busted a U-joint 100 feet up the trail; two of us turned back and made room for him and his family, so the dog got kicked out. I wasn't sure how she would do, but she trotted right next to the jeep all the way up, having much more fun than she would have had trying to cling to a swaying jeep!
The boulders at French creek are a blast. Coming back down the trail, I rolled off one a little too quickly, and BAM, thank god for those rocker guards. It would be a shame if that trail was closed.
We didn't go above the city at all, as it was getting late, but I've heard it gets even tougher up there.

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode