HEI Settings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEI Settings

I just gor done upgrading my ignition to a Chevy HEI system and was wondering what everyone is running as far as timing and idle. I set mine up by ear and ended up with about 2-3* before the 0 mark (oposite the timing scale) and around 600 rpms. I am running a weber 32/36, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also is everyone setting the timing with the vaccum advance plugged?

Jon
84 Toy,86 Toy,73 CJ5,93 RM125
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 08:04 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: HEI Settings

8 degrees BTDC at 800 RPM.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HEI Settings more Q\'s

OK I got it set up at 8* and 800rpms without the vacuum advance conected. After reconecting the advance and turning the idle down to 600 the timing has jumped up to about 12-15*. Is this normal, or should I reset the timing with the advance hooked up? Thanks

Jon
84 Toy,86 Toy,73 CJ5,93 RM125
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast

Jon,

My preference is to use ported vac for the advance. Drive in all ranges of speed and load on the engine. Lug it off in high gear, wind it up on hard acceleration, all the conditions you can imagine it will operate under. If it doesn't spark knock, bump it up a couple of degrees until it does. Back it off until it doesn't or whatever your tolerance level is. Not much knock though, makes bad things happen inside the engine. Optimum timing is just before knock occurs. Under 98% of your normal driving you shouldn't hear any knock. Also, you can tune the advance curve by playing with the springs and weights under the rotor. Lighter springs: faster advance. Heavier springs: slower advance. Most parts stores have a kit with springs and weights for about ten dollars.

Has anyone else tried this method? If so, how did it work for you? I've had good success with it for 15 or so years. Sounds really low tech but every engine has a different timing tolerance and this is the most reliable and easiest way I have to find it.

CJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 05:56 AM

Yeah, I also pretty much set it up by ear. I have a timing light, but no tach, so initially I set it up at what I thought was about 800-1000 RPMs
I also have the HEI and Weber 38 on my 258, and I went with the Crane adjustable vacuum advance and played with the spring to try and find my optimum advance.
Btw, trying different springs and amount of advance is a real fun project. It doesn't cost much, and you get to make all kinds of full throttle runs!
I just followed the instructions in the Crane kit, and didn't run into any problems really. The only odd thing I encountered was a knock on the highway at about 55mph, I had to retard the whole curve a little to elimate it.
Bob in MA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode