engine rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine rebuild

I have a 84 CJ7 that I have been rebuilding. I have put a crane cam with new valve springs. While it was running I heard some tapping from the valve cover so I decided to remove it and I discovered that one of my rocker arms had some play in it. I decided that I should remove one of the shims I placed under the rocker arms to remove the play. When I started it up it had a lack of power and fireballs out of the exhaust. I quickly shut it down and now I am going to replace the shims. I think I am going to need new push rods for that cylinder. Is it common to have to have different length push rods. Where should I look to get a custom set of push rods? Or is the play in the rocker arms something I should live with. Not an expert could use some help thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 08:14 PM

Re: engine rebuild

Quite a few hotter cams need at least 1/16" longer pushrods since these taller grinds have a smaller 'heel' on the other side of their lobes.
I can't figger out what "shims" you are talking about.
Yer rockers should be depressing your hydraulic lifters all around slightly.
Having just one loose one with the rocker nut down snug smacks of a flat cam lobe or even possably a collapsed or clogged lifter.
Also, check to see if the stud for the rocker isn't pulling out (If you are lucky) ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The shims I am talking about are the ones that affect lifter preload and they go between the rocker arms and the pedestal. When I replaced the cam I also replaced the lifters. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the shims I mentioned were the ones that go betwen the pedestal and the rocker arms and they affect the lifter preload. When I replaced the cam I also replaced the lifters. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode