Grounds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grounds

I am doing some preventive maintenance, I here a lot about the Grounds Body, Frame, Dash, Can someone help me with where all the Ground are so I can clean and check them Thanks David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 03:30 PM

Re: Grounds

Mine has the battery negative ground running to the engine side of the bellhousing and a wire coming off there running to the firewall also a strap running from engine side of the motor mount to the frame side of the same motor monunt I am not aware of any others ,I did run one from the solenoid to the battery and intend to run one from the bellhousing hookup to the frame,Just to be on the anal side.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 08:42 PM

Re: Grounds

Since CJ Dave is absent I will post his response to this, one of his favorite subjects .....
-------------- cut
A note about wiring from a fellow Jeeper named CJ-Dave ...

I have had a few Jeepers ask about grounding since I posted to the Jeep gal who is sending the battery to the rear area, so here is some continuing info on that subject:

......Remember that you are actually driving three separate Jeeps around: the FRAME; the ENGINE/TRANNY GROUP; and the BODY. The three groups are separated by insulating bushings, rust (lots of that), grease, and just plain looseness.

When your Jeep was new and rust free, the factory thought enough about grounds to have little cables here and there going from the battery to these component groups, but when you and cousin Leroy jerked the engine in '89, you broke the cables and they never got put back.

Do your Jeep a favor, and run dedicated cables to EACH COMPONENT GROUP.
Go from the battery to the starter housing bolt for the ENGINE/TRANNY group; from the battery (or the engine) to the FRAME GROUP; and from the battery (or the engine) to the BODY GROUP.

Work hard to get good clean spots; ground the tub and front end body material separately; be diligent about this, and you will be AMAZED at what a difference it will make (gee, the gas gauge started working'!), and maybe now that measly twelve volts can actually find it's way to the headlights!

CJ Dave
----------- cut

Also, I like the idea of an alternator to tub to battery ground wire.....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode