Help with 78 Cj5 Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help with 78 Cj5 Lift

I just purchased my new Jeep last summer. It is currently running on 33/12.50/15 with a shackle extension. I am guessing that the shackles are giving from 2 to 2 1/2 inches because of the 33s. Well as soon as I get home, I am planning to give it a four inch superlift softride suspension lift. I am then going to buy 35/12.50/15 SSR Swampers. I know that I will need a pitman arm, transfercase lowering kit, and extended brake lines, anything else? I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions or criticism? If anyone knows a basic price range that this will be, can you please let me know <excluding the tires>? Will these tires fit safely under my jeep or not? Thanks for all of your help..
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help with 78 Cj5 Lift

If you really wanna run 35s on a CJ-5, what I would do for stability would be the 4" susp lift, 2 " body lift, STOCK length (or very close to it) shackles. But, IMO, 35s on a narrow track CJ is not the greatest of ideas, I would do 33s at the tallest with stock axles.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd skip the t-case lowering kit, and either reweld the spring perches or add wedges (if possible) to go to a CV type driveshaft. You want that extra room under the t-case, believe me.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exactly what FarmJeep said. I've been preaching against lowering the t-case for a while now, there is not enough ground clearance...EVER. (I've become a real pro on getting hung up on my skidplate, its a real drag(pun intended[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])).

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have the 4" Skyjacker Softride suspension. Lowered pitman arm. Stock shackles. Extended brake lines. Transfercase lowered and CV driveshaft. My only complaint is of the softride springs. The ride is incredible. Nice and soft. But when it comes to wheeling it's very easy to "stuff" the rear wheels into the wheel wells. I'm hoping to fix this with TJ flares. I have no other problems. 35's BFG M/T on a CJ5 are no problem.

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Farm Jeep-
Thanks for the advice, but I live in SE Texas, and there really arent any rock trails around here. Just plain mud and streams. My main concern isn't the ground clearance <cant believe I said that> but the tires to get me throught some of this sticky stuff. Thanks anyways-
Aaron

Everyone drools when they see it, now to just get them to be scared of it!.....Their huge, loud, and rugged....Why is it we love them so much?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In2Deep- If you don't mind I'd like to ask some qustions, sorry but you've basically got exactly what I'm out to get <cept I want SSR Swampers>. Anyways How much total lift do you have/put on your jeep? How much space is between the body and tires? How much did all of this put you back? Did youinstall it yourself, how long did it take? Sorry for all the questions, but answers would be greatly welcomed. Thanks again-
Aaron

Everyone drools when they see it, now to just get them to be scared of it!.....Their huge, loud, and rugged....Why is it we love them so much?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 11:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I am currently running just the 4 inch lift. I had 1 1/2 lift shackles as well, but I'm having trouble with caster on the front axle (due mainly to shackle reversal). Space between body and tire = 6-8 inches. But there isn't any rubbing - unless I stand it up on the rear wheels. I can't recall how much I paid for the lift, I'm guessing about $450? But it's been about 5 years since I did the install. I put it on myself, but I was able to use the garage my brother works in. He just turned me loose with all of the impact tools and everything. That made the job a lot easier. It took about 4-6 hours. Pretty straight forward swap. I installed the brake lines at another time. I was unaware of them during the lift install.
For the transfer case lowering kit I just used some
1-1/2" square tubing. Welded the ends up to keep the mud out and drilled holes for the long bolts to go into the frame. I was in Ohio and didn't have to worry about ground clearance either. Just making room for bigger tires.

Total bill is hard to say. I bought different things at different times. Tires and wheels cost me just over $1000. Everything else seemed to be "nickle and dimes" compared. But I wanted it, so what the heck......

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask (or email).

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recently put a 4" suspension lift with 3/4 " Currie shackles on my '76 CJ5. I had to lengthen the drivelines.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run pretty close to what IN2DEEP has except I run Scout 44s as the axles and mines in a CJ7. I like the 4 " Superlift (National Tire & Wheel sells it w/ shocks for $400-450 delivered). I also run a 1" body lift and TJ flares to help with the clearance issues. And STOCK length shackles (get rid of the extended ones....or atleat dont get them more than 1" longer than stcok). BTW IN2DEEP, you'll love the TJ flares they open up the wheel wells quite a bit. Dropped pitman $50, extended brake lines $100 or so. I did the same thing on the "transfer case lowering kit"...made one from 1" square tubing with holes drilled in it. You might have to get your driveshafts lengthened.

Brad is right about hanging up on crap with that damn skid hanging down, BUT in I was having driveline vibrations with my 7 without lowering it 1". A CJ5 is going to have more because the distance is shorter than the t-case and rear axle than on a CJ7. I didn't want to spend the cash on a CV joint, hence the $5 worth of square tubing. The Superlift superide does come with degree wedges bolted to the rear springs to correct for your angle at the axle, but the angle is still too great at the t-case output without a CV joint .

Couple of other things no one has mentioned...with narrow track axles & 35s you may have some tire rub on the front springs on corners and, of course, gearing. 3.54 gears are not gonna like churning 35s in the mud...its gonna be hard on your tranny and motor.

Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode