77-79 CJ Tranny Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

77-79 CJ Tranny Question

Quick question , do any of you know if ANY other type of 4 speed was offered in 77-79 CJ`s besides the T-18 ? I found one in the paper(77 CJ5) and it says 258 w/ 4 speed trans. If all original it should be the T-18 right ? It`s CHEAP and I think I may just scoop it for the tranny and put my 150 in it and re sell it ( ya sure I will[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) . Thanks

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:06 AM

Re: 77-79 CJ Tranny Question

I bought the same jeep (77 cj-5 258 4spd) and it had the t-18a. It's easy to recognize. The tranny is HUGE compared to the t150. The casing is stamped "borg-warner" on the drivers side and if youre lucky it's also stamped t-18a on the passenger side. Mine wasn't but it still had the 6.32 first gear.And the reverse is down and out to the passenger's side.I'm just finishing the swap today, everything is bolt-on and the difference in incredible!!! I hope this helped out. good luck!

Ben

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ben , this is what I wanted to hear [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Jeff

<font color=red>

Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it's original it's the T-18. Just keep everything to swap over.
Bob

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 01:24 PM

The T176/177 was also offered. But it has an aluminum housing so it should be easy to tell what tranny it is.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 02:28 PM

I just came back from my test run with the t-18...WOW[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]What a difference. You wont believe it, I thougt it jumped out of gear, but no, thats just how slow it goes!!! I'm still smiling.Good luck with the swap

Ben

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it's stock, it's a T-18.

Thanks!
Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 09:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd call the guy and ask about it. I've seen people list it as a 4 speed when it's really a 3, "but it has a reverse, which makes it a 4 speed". I also know of people that have listed it as a 4 speed to get people to call, then claim they thought it was a 4 speed.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

I drove about 60 miles to look at it and it kind of through me off because I thought the shifter would look like the one on my Ford T18 in the garage not a shorty . Crawled under it and it read "T18-1B" . Heres the problem folks , I wanted to buy it and do the swap and re-sell the Jeep . My yard is already to full RIGHT NOW to let another project sit here. The tub on the Jeep was JUNK , ya JUNK . It looked like someone had got a 5 gallon bucket of bondo and trawled it on . The frame was cracked and broken near the drivers rear at the top ( where the shock mount is). And rotted , it`s the worst frame I have seen so far and thats saying a lot. He didnt look like he was aware of the frame crack but .... Bottom line is , I couldnt get him to sell it cheap enough to make it worth while just for the tranny .
The search continues

Jeff

<font color=red>

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the price is not right to you then it's not a good deal.

I find that some Sellers (doesn't matter what they are selling) will change their minds with time. Check back with him later. I got the guy I bought my 94 Wrangler to come down from $7500 to $4500 by "check'n and wait'n. The $4500 is way under market in my area but he was tired of trying to find a buyer at his high price and he knew I had cash.

If someone pays this guys price then "oh well", at least you weren't the idiot. The search for the parts is half the fun anyway.

Good Luck!

Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode