Off Roading Forums banner

Wife wants a Yukon!!!

630 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jfralph 
#1 ·
Well the wife went out garage selling Saturday morning and found herself a Yukon that she would like to have. She even called the bank to get a preapproval for it. It's not a bad price, it's a 97 for $18500, and fully loaded 4x4. It is high mileage 78000, but the way vehicles are built nowadays that doesn't concern me. The guy selling it wants to get a dually. Anyway can anybody tell me about these things. I just figured I'll be getting a tow rig that she can drive on a regular basis. BTW does anybody want to buy a 96 XJ with a 3 inch lift, 31 inch BFG allterrains, RE adjustable track bar, and so on, and so on?

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep

#2 ·
My wife is driving a 96 Tahoe 4x4 4 door and she loves it. Is the one your wife wants, a 2 or 4 door? If I bought one with 78K miles on it I would drain the red antifreeze out and put some green in it right away. Ours has 125K and we had to put a new intake manifold on it because it was pitted from the red antifreeze and the gasket blew out. They say it happens to a lot of the aluminum manifolds on GM autos.

82 cj-7,258,hei,weber,np435,D-300, superior axles

G
#3 ·
The Yukon is an excellent vehicle, and tows very well. You won't be disappointed. It is also the best handling fullsize SUV both on and off road. One note about the antifreeze-check with your local GM dealer before you switch. The early Dexcool antifreeze was quite prone to degrading. My understanding is that the antifreeze itself has been improved. So you may not need to change types of antifreeze, just get a flush & fill. I'm not saying the pervious post is wrong, just check around a little.

#4 ·
I have a 95(TBI) Suburban and love it. I "had" a 97 1500 and had some problems. You my want to do some asking around about the early Vortec motors. Last summer the 97(45,000 miles) had the fuel injection go out three times in three months and the fuel pump took a crap once. About a month after trading in the 97 for the 95 Sub I received a service bulletin from Chevy saying there was a problem with the injectors clogging and they would cover the motors till 100,000. I have talked to a couple other people that had the same problems but to be fair to Chevy I know allot more people that haven't had any at all. I LOVE the Sub but I hate filling the tank.

WildCJ5

Attachments

G
#5 ·
Just a thought...if he wants to get a dually, you might wanna ask why. If it is to tow the huge boat he's thinking of buying, then that's ok. If it's because he's wasted the tranny and rear end in the Yuk that he's selling towing the huge boat that he has now, then that's not quite as good... At the very least, it could bring about some bargaining chips.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.

#6 ·
My full sized '95 Cheyenne Blazer 2 door (which I believe is the Chevy version of the Yukon) is holding up very well at 125K miles. It's a good handling rig and it tows very well including flat towing CJ's and U-Hauls. The injectors do need a going over though.
I recently had a new alumimum radiator installed in it. The stock units that year were all junk, I am told .... the plastic side chambers first gave out on it in the first year and was repaired under warranty.
My radiator guy, who I respect and have known for a long time, advised me to use only TEXACO anti freeze as the other brands are more corrosive to aluminum.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

#7 ·
Well, I am glad you all are telling me about these little problems. The guy is getting a crew cab dually for reason's I don't know. When I was at his house I didn't see anything that he had to tow. He also has a Suburban. The Yukon has a warranty of two years/24000 miles left on it, so if anything does go out I won't be out of the cash. JMZ it is a four door if that makes any difference. Again thanks for the info.

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep

#9 ·
My wife's '96 Suburban has had all sorts of problems. We had an extended warranty that covered the tranny ($2,200), alternator ($350), misc electrical problems ($500). The extended warranty ended at 80,000 miles and in the last 6 months (8,000 miles) we have replaced another alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, intake manifold (see earlier post), heater valve, and thermostat. Overall I have been pretty disapointed. The car is great when everything is working correctly, but I've never owned a car that has had so many problems with so few miles.

Gas tank is 43+ gallons. Great distance, but fill-ups can take 15+ minutes.

I would really find out if he has been towing with it and make sure it has a tranny cooler as well. The tranny is one of the most common (and expensive) problems with them. If it hasn't been serviced regularly it is a red flag.

-ray

#10 ·
Find out where he gets it serviced and ask them for all the records. I turned down a few vehicles because the guy was giving me a different story than the dealership records indicated. Also look underneath. I looked into trading out '95 Trooper for a Yukon, and after looking underneath, I decided against it. It was all rusty and looked terrible, whereas the Trooper had higher mileage but had no rust and looked in better shape. I don't recommend a Trooper for towing though, just not enough ponies under the hood. I really like the looked of them, and have always like Chevys, good luck with your decision.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights

#11 ·
On the flip side, my cousin purchased a brand new Chevy Blazer K5 Sport the first year they came out in 1992 (like the 2 door Yukon's now). He now has over 280,000 miles on it (that is not a typo) and has only had to replace the radiator (plastic gave out) alternator, and this summer the a/c crapped out. Other than that and normal maintenance, that truck has been AWESOME /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#12 ·
I believe that each vehicle is an individual, and a lot of that comes from the day it was made, the way it was handled at the dealership, and the way the owners drove it and maintained it. To draw conclusions from others experience, can be misleading, do your homework, determine the driving habits of the seller, look at the maintence records, and make an educated aguess as to previous use. The price seems good, but what is the big picture? Good Luck!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.