Electric Motor question...Starter/winch motor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electric Motor question...Starter/winch motor?

Well, I'm in the process of rebuilding a Ramsey RE 8000...It is in need of some new solenoids and a new electric motor...Called around a bit, and I'll probably just use two continuous hold solenoids and engineer an underhood mount for them instead of replacing the factory solenoids...but that electric motor...Ramsey now makes a 4.8hp motor to replace the original one, but they want $225 for it. The motor looks just like a starter motor. It's got 3 posts (1 ground, one forward rotation, one reverse rotation) and the shaft end has 4 ears, at 90 degree intervals, for mounting. The shaft is about 3/4" diameter, with one 1/8" tongue sticking out of it to drive the gear. Does anyone know if it is a starter motor? Or, does anyone know the HP developed by a starter motor? Are starter motors series wound or permanent magnet? Who thinks one would work/last in a winching application? From what I gather, the winch originally had a 1.8hp motor. An old firefighter friend of mine said that they had a fireengine with an old worm drive winch on it that just used a Ford starter motor for its power. Any thoughts? A $50 starter sounds much better than a $225 "winch motor".

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electric Motor question...Starter/winch motor?

it is designed the same as a starter motor but it is different. you can just have the motor rebuilt. i just had mine done and it was around $75.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:10 AM
mindbender

Farm Jeep: Just a question about the motors. I have a RE:8000 that needs rebuilt. What, if any performance changes will the 4+ hp motor give to the RE, compared to the 1+ hp motor that is on it? For example, does it change overall rating - or retrival speed? The other thought I had was to find out if the original motor can be rewound to stronger specs.

HiFive: Where did you have your motor rebuilt?

Thanks,

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 40 head ported polished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Jacobs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 31" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 999 insulated hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't really know the answer to that question...I've been kinda wondering too...I imagine that a motor with twice the HP would, even if it doesn't have a higher max RPM, run at a higher RPM under load, increasing the line speed...even though the worm drive still won't go challenging an 8274 anytime soon.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just took it to an electric motor maintenance shop. they sell and rebuild all types of electric motors and pumps.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode