NP435 Clutch Linkage Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP435 Clutch Linkage Question

Ive got a 79 cj-5 that I've installed a Ford 351W and NP 435 tranny. My problem is that there is very little room between clutch fork and frame making the linkage connection tough. Has anyone done a NP435 swap? How about hydraulic clutch options?? Also what about the possibility of hydraulic throwout bearing?? Any help is greatly appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 11:06 PM

Re: NP435 Clutch Linkage Question

Is it because of the bellhousing,What kind of clutch linkage are you using ? did you use the right motormounts ...from what I have read here on this board sometimes the engines are not centered in the engine compartment but offset to one side.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wouldn't be a problem if you swapped an AMC V8, LOL. With the Ford I really don't have any solutions, But behind an AMC, you hav at the minumum 3, Stock linkage, early 80's 151 4 cyl hydraulic, or AA chain linkage. I bet that sounds much easier than a non AMC engine swap. Sorry about the sarcasim.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray,
Thanks for the note. The engine is installed exactly as instructions from Novac. The linkage I'm struggling with is simply a modification to the original. However, it seems that hydraulic may be more appropriate than mechanical given the space limits.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray,
Thanks for the note. Actually the swap has been very simple with the slight exception of this clutch linkage. Have you used one of those AA chain linkages?? and if so did it function adequately??

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:17 AM

I concidered the chain linkage but it was quite costly compared even to a hydrolic set up ....I personally just replaced all the worn parts in my stock (bellcrank)linkage
This is why avoid radical swaps or upgrades too many peripheral problems for me to deal with.I was looking to put a NP435 behind my 258 but have found a T-18 that may work ( T-18 freaks post)...so if anything else don't show up I may go for it .I was going to go for a WC.T-4 cause it is a direct bolt in but FUNDS'A'LOW
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LINKAGE.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode