Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   454 Starter experience (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/38528-454-starter-experience.html)

Woodsrider 09-16-2000 07:22 PM

454 Starter experience

Strickly speaking this is not a Jeep question, but I do tow my Jeep with my 454 Chev.RV. I know some of you guys have experience with the 454, I have the famous hot starting problem. I have heard a lot about the Mean Green starter, is it as good as they say? I would appreciate your views, thanks for any info.

Happy Trails

Junk Yard Genius 09-18-2000 12:49 AM

Re: 454 Starter experience

This is an easy one...
I do A LOT of chevy big blocks!

An ignition cut out switch...

Mount a switch that controls the current to the ignition where you can reach it from the drivers seat.
Get the engine cranking good, and then turn the ignition current on, and it will start right up.

What is happening is the engine gets hot, you stop for awhile for gas or what ever, when you go to restart, everything is hot under the hood, and fitting tight and sealing well.
You still have fuel in the cylinders from where you turned the vehicle off, and it's boiled into vapor.
The engine is hot, so all controls are in the 'lean' mode, so the fuel/ air mixture is lean and ready to pop...
Since the engine is full warm, the ignition is advanced to the limit more than likely...
You draw in cooler air from outside, and that makes the intake charge even more dense...

Then you hit the key...
And the fuel sets off with the ignition at full advance, and it tries to force the piston/ rod back down the way it came instead of letting it roll over, and sounds like the starter is dragging...

Put in an ignition cut out switch, and get the engine cranking, then throw the switch...
Once the engine is cranking good, getting it started is no problem...
It also makes a good anti-thieft device.

If you have the later model GM HEI, they can have as much as 35 degrees timing at start up if the sensors say the engine is warm.
It's a real pain in the butt.

Try starting a big block at the race track when you are running 45 to 65 degrees continuous advance on a 1,000 horse power big-block!
They can kick the starter right off the block!!
Gets real ugly for your wallet about that time!! (kind of hard on starter cables too!)

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

**DONOTDELETE** 09-18-2000 06:36 AM

Never thought of it like that TR. I wish I would have heard that when I had my blazer.I put a gear reduced starter on my small block,and my hot start problems have been completly eliminated.It is made for a big block,and only cost $145.00.I got it from a starter/alternator rebuilder in dallas though.Mean green is a little to rich for my blood.

Junk Yard Genius 09-18-2000 11:32 PM

This stuff comes up when you are an old racer...
Old racer means 'Poor S-O-B trying to go fast' in english, so we had to fix things ourselves...

I haven't been impressed with the Mean Green alternators I've seen here...
Just a mix and match set of stock parts someone monkeyed with, always a recipe for disaster.

I have to be honest, I haven't seen one of there starters, but I just suspect the same...

The corvettes went to a gear reduction starter when the compression ratios came back up with the fuel injection and computer controlled ignitions...
That is one solution for the problem...

I was talking about this the other day with a guy...
I had a starter and alternator business for about 10 years, and we just didn't do may Chrysler gear reduction starters...
I don't remember changing many when I worked in the shops as a young man either.
They sound stupid, but maybe Chrysler did something correct besides the slant 6, and all the HiPo engines...
(I still get weak when I think about Chrysler muscle cars!! and I'm a iron clad chevy man...)

It's something to try, and it's cheap...
If it doesn't work, you only lost a little time and the cost of a switch.
If it does work, you cured the problem, and you gained another level of anti-theft protection.

Good luck, and let me know how it works out!

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"