changed my cam today - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

changed my cam today

well.. the mud bog trascks around here P'd me off enough where i told them i would never race again( even though i owned the track record).. and i meant it.. racing isn't really my thing anyway.. so I changed my cam.. from the .292 that was in it to a .262..... the cam card said the valves would float at about 5600rpm.. but i turned mine to 6000 and it sounded good, probably because of the stiffer valve springs I have.. but the idle is soooooo much better.. i wish i put this thing in right away when i bought it(7 months ago).. i can idle at about 450 rpm now...as opposed to the 1200 I had to keep it at before.... i couldn't be happier.. the moral of the story.......... JUST DO IT!!!!!!.. you know what upgrades you need... bite the bullet and do them!..why do you think H*'s jeep is so awesome?? cause he doesn't procrastinate like I(we) do!..tommorrow I'll beef the cage amnd make everything all organbized... good results are so encouraging...
oh yeah... it took about 8 hours for me to change my cam by the time everything was done(even degreeing).. I am not the fastest, but i have air tools and i worked straight through ..... I'm just stoked...Iv'e never seen this engine run so smooth

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 07:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: changed my cam today

Chris, Not only will you be able to turn your idle down, but your engine will run a whole lot smoother while crawling. That big cam stuff is not that good on the rocks anyway. I think my cam is a .270. I chose it for a smooth idle and a good RPM range. Remember dude, we is grownups now and don't race..Nuttin' wrong with racin', but I do not think a well set up jeep can do both. Just my opinion. Ricky...seeya...

BTW I try not to procrastonate with my stuff, however "just do it attitude" will get me in trouble. Them thar Dana 60's is mighty espensive!!!!

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm a little curious about your cam as I've been selecting a few options for a rebuild on my 87 4.2 stocker. What brand was it, how much lift and what was the lobe seperation? You also mentioned higher spring pressure. I suppose they're duals but did you have to machine the heads to fit them in or were they good stock?

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hey little foot... yes.. my engine is a v-8, so the cam is gunna be different, and i used heads off a 401 on my 304. I was worried the springs would be too stiff, but i got lucky....I am NOT an engine expert... there are much better people on the bbs than me. the springs were matched for my last cam. they came as a set with the lifters and cam...they went right in and the only machining I did was a touch of shave on the heads.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We had the local mud bogs last night and I am psyched for next year, I want to enter with my CJ5, I have lockers front and rear, a four inch lift, 35's, and a AMC 360 engine, is there anything else that would give me a little edge? I am going to do a little mud racing because I have a t150 three speed and Dana 20 t-case. I want to do the mudbogs for one year before I swap to lower gears.

78 CJ5/360
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 03:21 PM

If your really serious about it- getting a set of skinny tires will help in the deep stuff. Those big, wide boggers are really best left to the people who have enough HP and the proper gearing to hydroplan across the top of the goo

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 07:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sycho is right.. get a set of skinny muds.. Elusive was all over with the fat boggers.. they did great in the hill and hole.. basically like a tank trap.. couldnt touch them there.. but in the shallow stuff.. 1-2' go with the skinny..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode