Well I have done it now!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well I have done it now!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Well if you were there you know what happened to my Jeep at Anderson Creek. For all those concerned we made it back home (barely) driving cautiously.

With a come-a-long and some ingenuity we held the thing together for the ride home.

Besides tearing away the passenger side step (I know I need nerf bars or something similar), I discovered that the driver side front shackle hanger was broken leaving the shackle and subsequently the spring to move freely away from the frame. The metal that is broken looks iffy to weld back. So I am a little perplexed. The mount broke just below the frame leaving part still welded to the frame and part bolted to the shackle.

I called M.O.R.E. and luckily Chris Overacker was there today. He said their shackle reversal setup required that mounting point for there setup to work. He said without looking at it (he's out west, I'm in Georgia) that he would be afraid to install the kit even welding the bracketry because their kit used a spacer between the two holes for that mount for strength. Bolt on hangers won't work easily...since the YJ's frame is boxed you would have to bolt from bottom to top of frame or cut a slot into the frame for access to install a nut.

There are no competent shops near my home and I can't be without my Jeep too long (daily driver). I am looking for help from the group...any suggestions, ideas?? I would not mind installing some aftermarket setup to remedy the problem. (I can't afford a coil kit!)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Well I have done it now!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!

That's a tuffy, Hank! if you can manage to get the welded piece cut off, you could replace it with either another YJ hanger or a bolt on hanger welded on. A local shop tried to talk me into new hangers (bolt on), which they were going to weld to my frame, since the bolt holes won't line up anyway for YJ springs on my CJ.

canis
Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 09:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hank

I`m not a frame expert but can`t you make a new box section to weld in there ? It`s what I was going to do on the rear of my CJ frame , same principle.

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 09:45 PM
jeepfreak

Im not sure if I fully understand the problem but one idea would be to drill a hole all the way throught the top of the frame and get some grade 8 bolts and nuts and run the bolts all the way through the frame. I had a similar problem on the back of dads 84 cj7 shackle hangers and that is how I fixed it. It has worked great since.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

TIS BETTER TO HAVE JEEPED AND ROLLED THAN NEVER TO HAVE JEEPED AT ALL...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From what I understand here, I'd go with either the grade 8 (or maybe grade 5 would do it: grade 8 is more brittle) bolt through the frame idea OR just cutting or grinding the remaining fragment of shackle hanger off the frame and welding another one on.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.
</font color=blue>
http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I got an email from a guy telling me that I can walk up to a Jeep parts counter and order the part if I have the part number for the weld on hanger...He just can't find his receipt. Anybody got that info ?? He says it is in the factory body manual - seperate from the service manual.

If I can get that part here and find a competent welder (that will work on a truck with all the liability that goes with that).

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know Hiram isn't that close to Dalton (about an hour south), but Hiram 4x4 can probably do it for you.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 02:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn, too bad your so far from FL, FlMudCJ would be happy to fix it for ya...for some "sweet dew." Heck, he's got a welder, a torch, and a grinder, he can fix ANYTHING!!!!

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmm I'm trying to remember but I think the shackle reversal kit I used to sell at the 4x4 shop didn't use that piece. They'll be open on monday you should try giving them a call. 1-800-4-fly-n-hi talk to Sean he'll take care of you. They also have a website www.fly-n-hi.com the answer might be there. Good luck
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 03:35 PM

How about doing the spring hanger on top of the frame trick like on Chris' TJ-7? The long shackles hang down on each side of the frame. Its easier to understand if you see the pictures at his website- he was doing a shackle-reversal at the same time as well.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode