Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Why I LOVE my 4.2--solved whistle problem. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/38497-why-i-love-my-4-2-solved-whistle-problem.html)

Robert87yj 09-16-2000 12:56 PM

Why I LOVE my 4.2--solved whistle problem.

I just [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]love my 4.2, A little bit of tweaking is all it took to get the whistling to stop. Actualy it wasn't anything that I did, it was a friends dad who got it to stop. I re-configured my air intake tube, didn't work, retourqued the intake and exaust manifold bolts, didn't work. then I drove it over to a friends house. His dad built engines for John Deer for a living for about 20 yrs. His dad played with the air intake, then the throttle cable. After he was done messing with the throttle cable it stopped whistling. Aparently the little plastic sleve at the end of the cable was just out of place and kept the plate(sorry don't know the name) that controls the airflow into the engine just a little open.

One last(hopefully) question about the MPI. I've put 300 miles on the engine so far, when will the RPM's slow down. Right now it idles between 2 and 2.5k.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. That is the last thing that I am worried about.

Thanks guys(and gals if you are out there)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Jaffer 09-16-2000 05:55 PM

Re: Why I LOVE my 4.2--solved whistle problem.

Robert-
Mine settled down to a nice 650 RPM after a couple of hundred miles.
It's time for you to hook up the check engine lite and get a read out.
Do you have the speedo attached?
The 'puter has to know if you are at a stand still.
Attached are the codes.
Flick your ignition on three times, leaving it 'on' the third ..
the light will start talking, ending in 55 ....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

**DONOTDELETE** 09-16-2000 06:19 PM

Are you sure it's idling at 2000-2500 rpms!? If it truly is, you may have a large vacuum leak, or the throttle is still being held open. The hot idle should be around 650. It should be idling there after only a few minutes at most, even with a new PCM.

Robert87yj 09-17-2000 12:11 PM

Actually now it idles around 3k, increaced from 2-2.5k from 2 days ago. The engine now has about 420mi on it. I'll have to get out there with a 12v light and check the 'puter codes. I attached the spedo, and the new tach. It's nice to be able to drive it again, but it practically drives its self.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]