Wagoneer D44 on a YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Wagoneer D44 on a YJ

I have a '95 YJ and one of the 1st mods I'm making is swaping in D44's. People have told me to get them from a 80's wagoneer, will they just bolt right up or do they need to be narrowed? Will they fit my stock wheels and tires I've Got on it now? What all do I need to do the swap succesfuly and cheeply?
Thanks,
Andy

'95 YJ, I-6, Auto, Open Diffs, Soney stero, 215/75R15 GoodYear At's, Completly Stock, Getting tow hooks, Have big plans, lock right, 6" toatal lift 36 swampers, D44's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wagoneer D44 on a YJ

the wagoneer axles will bolt into the front of your yj but you will have to move the rear spring pads. the wagoneer dana 44's use 6 lug rims so you will need to swap those. you should have no problem doing it cheap if you sell your stock axles. you can probably get more for them than you'll give for the wagoneer axles. that will give you a little extra money that you will need for gears, lockers, rims, etc. that is where the money comes in. make sure you look at the inside of the diff covers. i just got a set of 70's model dana 44's (q-track) for a buddys samurai and when i took them apart the front looked like new but the rear was full of water and rust. there is no way anyone could have run these gears and bearings. lukily for us he wasn't going to use the measly 3.07 gears so we were planing a complete rebuild any way with a spool and 5.38's so we arn't going to use any of it except the housing and the axles. just check them if you plan to use the stock gears.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 01:16 AM

Re: Wagoneer D44 on a YJ

Actually for a YJ you will need to get the axles from a mid to late 80s Grand Wagoneer, this will get you the D44 with the driver side drop.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode