The land of the lost! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

The land of the lost!

So I drive way down here to Mass, 300 miles each way, what a zoo! I'm here in company training, which is nice, so in my spare time I decided to help <font color=blue>mxnhid</font color=blue> move and pick up some stuff from <font color=blue> Boston Mangler</font color=blue> (what a decent guy!). The traffic down here is unreal, bumper to bumper, a moving parking lot, people cutting everyone off, and total disregard for any laws. Gas prices are high, the pizza (bought for mxnhid) took over an hour, and the Autozone people aren't the friendliest in the world. <font color=blue> Boston Mangler</font color=blue> was having some problems (I hope everything works out), and his Toyota problems are sorted out.

It's like another world down here, but at least the jeeps still looks the same. Man, Max's computer is FUNKY (split keyboard and trac-ball mouse)!

BTW, I knew Max was a Zuki nut, and I consider myself a jeep nut, but I don't have Zuki trannies and engines in my living room. The wife would kill me. So how many of you out there are like that? I know the<font color=blue> Boston Mangler</font color=blue> must be (he also wheels in a '99 Toyota, complete with numerous battle scars), but who else has actual jeep parts ornamenting their living quarters?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: The land of the lost!

I live in a duplex and for the first year of ownership of my jeep. The body parts invaded my living room. I took the tub off the frame and sanded everypiece down. I was doing this in rainy season and i had to keep the bare metal out of the moisture, so the dining room was the best place. There was only enough room for to get to the cabinets and sink/fridge/oven. My roomate thought i was crazy, but the good thing was the lease was in my name. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] hehehehehe
Friends would come in and wonder what the hell was going on. People from work saw it and reported it back to everyone else that i was nuts and had a garage for a dining room. I had somekind of jeep part in the dining room up until a year ago and i have been in the duplex for more than 4 years. My next place will definately have a garage.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "CAloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

me and jeepgod are secretly competing to see who can sneak more jeep parts un-noticed by the women into the house... I thought the cj wheel hub/candle holder was creative, but i like the amc 20/lamp too......my next prodject will be an old center console/end table.
ps.. i'm kidding in some of this...., but wife IS used to finding jeep parts in the oven and fridge, and in the sink, bathtub, closet, washing machine, dishwasher(base housing is cool)... you just never know when you might need that hub.....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 04:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lets see now.....I live in the basement of my house, rent out the upstairs. Before I rented, I had two full doors laid out in the living room apart, right now in the rec. room (my current living room) I have various transfer case pieces laying about, all the parts for 2 ring and pinion changes, 1 complete bushing kit, one carrier assembly, the two full doors still apart, all my welding equipment, I could go on, man, it sure is crowded here, oh well, at least I'm not alone. Later.

Fluke [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 11:24 AM

My friend has a Samuri, SOAed on 31x13.5 Swampers and welded diffs front and rear. His little engine was getting tired so him and a buddy carried it into his living room where he spent the next month rebuilding it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey JEEPN,

Living in the Boston Area is love and hate. There's just too many people is too small a place. Driving is like warfare sometimes, cut off or be cutt off. The toughest part for me is that I have 3 jeeps and they're all in different places. I live in Malden in a complex so I can only part one car and my daily driver is an 88 wagoneeer. I keep my trail jeep at a friends in Hyde Park were I go to work on it all the time. My scrambler is kept at my mothers house on the Cape, a good hour and a half away. The CJ8 is a project so I'll be spending many weekends down there to work on it but I would be so nice to have a house with a big yard. I love Boston and go out all the time so it would be hard for me now tomove farther away, so you do the best with what you got right?

Lee

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Man, that's where Max moved from was Hyde Park. Yeah, it's just different coming from a desolate area. I spent 30 minutes going 10 miles, not used to that, but the northbound lane on 128/I-95 was wall to wall vehicles for 30 miles.

I like the idea of being able to get anything you want at any time of the day or night, up here everything closes at 7PM.

I hear you on doing what you can with what you have. I stopped by <font color=blue>Boston Mangler's</font color=blue> house on the way home, and I thought I used to have limited space to work on a jeep. There also seems to be a lot of jeepers down there, where do you all go wheeling? I also have to say you Jeepers/Wheelers (Max is a Zuki nut) down there seem to be a lot friendlier than the folks up in the rural areas of Maine, at least the people I have encountered.

Brought home more jeep stuff (thanks <font color=blue>Boston Mangler</font color=blue>), and the wife just shook her head when I arrived. She'll understand, someday, when she has her own wheeling rig.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 11:10 AM

I here ya JEEPN on the traffic in Boston. As you know I was just up there also. My opinion...Boston is a Beautiful place until that airplane lands at Logon Airport and you get in that car. Never seen anything like it. My parents live in the DC area...Boston traffic reminded me of the traffic the outter DC area had before they expanded all the roads (early 90's). Wish I could have caught up with you while I was out there. However, hope not to be back there for a while.

One good point...I ate breakfast the morning I left out at a place called 3 yokes breakfast and lunch. This place is a little greasy spoon near the airport just past the Enterprise car rental place on route 1A. ABSOLUTELY the best breakfast I have had in recent memory. Great local people to talk to and excellent food. All the people in there knew each other...and then there was me. But they were really into "muscle cars" and we all had a great conversation. If I go back, that place will be why.

78 CJ5 w/360
"measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN we've wheeled before, remember the guy from Boston with the black cj and the thornbirds you talked bad about hahaha
My jeep totally different from last year when I was stock with 4" lift and 33's.
Let's see: Weber, dual batteries, XD9000, york, tire carrier w/ 3 gal air tank, spring over (5 leaf YJ's), spring over steering, front 9012's, 44's front and back w/ 4.56 and detroits, rear discs, rear CV DS, tera 4 to 1 low and 35X14.5 boggers. All that and regular maintenance done in the driveway.

We sometimes organize unofficial runs on a local mail list but this year I've done Winn Mountain, Mason/Brookline, Vietnam about 4-5 times and the Beacon twice, and a little playin in the Dunes on the Cape once or twice. All that and it still seems I haven't been on the trail much this year.

Yeah, I thought there was some kinda strange cats up there when I was at the pig roast but most were cordial and friendly.

Lee

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Yeah, I remember you, of course, and Rob. Now I never talked bad about you, only those Thornburgs. Boy, that's come a long way baby! Can't wait to see it. I haven't wheeled with the club since last year, "no stock trails" is the reason, and I didn't feel like beating on the wife's TJ that badly. Mangler said you've been helping with his as well, how do you find the time?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode