Ramsey winch mounting help needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ramsey winch mounting help needed

Anyone got a pic of a mount for a RE 8000 worm drive Ramsey? I'm engineering one right now, and I haven't figured out exactly how I wanna build it to clear the drum and the gearbox that drives the worm gears...How does Ramsey mount it? It's gonna go on the front of a CJ5...behind the bumper and above the front crossmember hopefully...It looks like it'll have to be lifted up off the crossmember a few inches to clear. Is that how Ramsey does it? If it does have to be that way, I may build a little storage under it in the otherwise dead space...spot to put a clevis and a snatch block maybe...But I'd really appreciate a description and/or pic. Anyone?

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ramsey winch mounting help needed

i have a re8000 and yes they have to sit up off of the crossmember. i'm not sure you'll have too much room for a little comartment though. i don't have a good pic of it and i don't have a digital camera so i can't help you there.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you describe it a bit more...It just bolts to the 8 holes on the front and rear of the two sides of the winch, right?

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes there are 4 bolts in the front and 4 in the rear. the two inboard bolts in the front are the counter sunk bolts that you use a flat head screw driver on. the reason for this is because the roller fairlead mounts over the top of them.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think Ramsey still makes the mount kit, it would be your best bet.

If your too poor, (in this great Klinton economy), or you just want to make it, it is made with 2 pieces of heavy angle iron, 1 1/2" X 2" X 1/4", that bolt to the winch front and rear, these bolt to two 1/4" plates formed to fit the frame rails. The winch is approx. 5" above the stock front bumper at the bolt holes. The gear housing ends up about 1/2" in front of the grill.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode