high pressure fuel lines? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

high pressure fuel lines?

i am in the process of installing a efi from a 89 ford f150 onto the 351w that i have in my jeep. my question is it uses fuel lines with special clip fittings that you have to use a special little too to get them off. is it necessary to use fuel lines with these fittings? where can i get them? any help would be greatly appreciated.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: high pressure fuel lines?

Hey Brian I know those little fittings very well. I had to pull the upper and lower intakes off my old 89 Bronco three times for coolant leaks between the intake and head. I would think that if you stick with fuel line and clamps rated for fuel injection (high pressure), you could eliminate those fittings. The Mopar MPI kit recommends using EFI rated lines and clamps which you can buy at NAPA and the Ford EFI has similar fuel pressure as the Mopar kit (22-25psi).

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just put FI on my chevy 350, the max pressure it has is 18psi. Definitely use hose rated for fuel and hard line it everywhere possible, but I doubt your FI system is much higher in pressure than that.

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 05:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

I believe the MPI kit pumps fuel from pump to rail @ 70 psi, that is why you need good piping.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

My 95 YJ had fire damage when I got it, including the fuel lines. I didn't want to spend $150 on factory replacement line , so I installed fuel injection grade rubber lines. I just clamped the hoses to metal lines. The fuel injection hose clamps are designed to not cut into the hose when you tighten them.

I had a problem getting line that fit good. There was quite a difference between line from different companies that was suppose to be the same diameter. Some of the line would not clamp down tight enough not to leak under pressure.

jerry

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:59 PM

jfralph is right.
An MPI's relief valve pressure, even with an adjustable fuel regulator, is 46 psi max. Sources tell me that 42-44 is about right.
That's a heck of a lot more than 18 psi !
Use that EFI hose! and clamp it down well....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most MPI fuel pumps are capable of 100psi if a line or pressure regulator gets blocked. The EFI rated line should cost around $4 a foot, regular fuel hose will not work! Be sure to use hose clamps that have smooth inner sides, regular clamps will cut the hose and seriously weaken it. Inspect the hoses regularly and route them as far as possible away fro the exhaust and moving parts.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode