Factory Hardtop 80-81 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Factory Hardtop 80-81

I had 1980 Cj-7 Hardtop... but after reading some of the posts here, I think the hardtop may have been aftermarket. I had major problems with that hardtop, and this was one of the reasons I was looking at an 84-86 this time around... but here is the question.

On this jeep, the hard top had twist style handles and strike plates instead of the latch style with posts for the door to grab on. What is the normal for factory hard tops on 80-81? The twist style doors hit the plates, and there were no supports for the body... the very thin metal attaching to the roll bar area was ripped on both sides of the jeep, and the doors would flex and rattle like crazy because of it... I hated that.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:22 AM

Re: Factory Hardtop 80-81

I have the same setup with the twist style handles ...they may have been from an earlier model jeep...However the doors are fully adjustable by loosening the hinges and adjusting the fit in the body opening...but being totally rusted together the TORX screws will have to probably drilled out ....I finally had to drill them nothing else would loosen them .I started to dent the doors trying to use an impact driver and penetrating sprays on them ....those are the ones that didn't strip ...Drilling and running a tap to clean up the threads worked much faster and easier than trying to force the old ones out.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 04:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Factory Hardtop 80-81

The 1980 CJ-7s came with the twist style handle on the factory hard doors. Just tryin to help..GOOD LUCK!!!

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode