OT-Solutions for barking dog next door - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

OT-Solutions for barking dog next door

everymorning for last few weeks there is a rottweiler behind me that barks at about 3 am, then again he starts at about 6.

I turn the flood lights on, to no avail, he barks away.

the folks who own the house/dog just moved in a few months ago, I have yet to meet them, and they dont seem overly freindly.

any ideas how to solve this dilima? I usually get up at 6 anyway, but several times it has woken my kids up too which is a real BURDEN.

please dont suggest antifreeze, or a gun ( unless your referring to using it on the owner)

I hate for it the be the first thing I say when I meet these neighbors, so Im hoping for another solution.

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT-Solutions for barking dog next door

I have the same problem with my neighbours. They have about 5 small dogs that keep on yupping if there is anything moving that they can see. My neighbours are not too bright and they can barely speak english, so my solution was to spray the little bustards with water until they stop barking, or run away to the other side of the house where I can't hear them. That usually allows me to fall asleep again. I did call cops many times, and then they would put the dogs inside for a while. Now believe me or not, two of the dogs are expecting, so it looks like there will be whole bunch more of these [email protected]#&r$... They already got a bunch of tickets from the cops due to the fact that the dogs are running around the neighbourhood loose and polluting(if you know what I mean), plus they don't have any shots for rabies and such...

Coming back to your poblem. There must be something setting the dog off. Your best bet is to talk to the owners about it. Maybe they can keep the dog indoors during the night?

Well, I hope you feel better knowing that there are some of us that have to deal with more than just one dog...

Good luck...

89YJ/LT1/NV4500/5.25"Lft
"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont know if it's the same problem that we have in our nieghbor hood,but it's the early morning joggers that get our dogs going.What is making the dog bark? I got to where I left the house about the same time a lady from the other side of town jogged through our place.I almost ran into her one morning(by accident),scared the hell out of her I guess, she aint been back down our street.See what the dog is barking at, and eliminate that problem..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:34 AM
sas87yj

here in tucson you can call the animal control dept and make a complaint. they will contact the owners and notify them of the problem. i would start there and use the dept as a mediator. hopefully this might work.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:12 AM

Animal controll can also fine the owner or remove the dog if the owner dosn't comply.Hate it when a 150 # dog has a higher IQ than the owner.I have nothing against dogs just stupid people owning them.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

BB-gun??????? j/k [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300,
2000 TJ 4.0L, jamboree edition
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You mean on the owner?

89YJ/LT1/NV4500/5.25"Lft
"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get bigger dog...Let Bigger dog eat smaller dog....then owner (of smaller dog)...Problem solved (GRIN)

1974 CJ5 304
1989 Cherokee 4.0
The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life !!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:25 AM
joeybcdt

I just got rid of my rott. He was driving ME crazy. Not just the barking. He was soooo big and strong and stupid, he did a lot of damage to people and property. He wasn't mean. Just combersome and too darn friendly.

There are a couple of solutions. All require the cooperation of the owner.
1. Bark Collar: Under $50.00. Not supposed to be used for long durations.
2. Bark sprayer: This is a watering device that is activated by barking. Do a search for hunting dogs. Most retriever suppliers carry these.
3. Muzzle: The cloth kind that wraps around the muzzle. The dog is still able to eat, drink, lick, and throw-up. About $8.00
4. Head Lead: This may not help the barking. But, I am convinced that this is the best and easiest way to train any animal. They always follow their head. Blows away choke collars. My rott used to "laugh" at the choke collar. With the head lead, my 5 year old could walk him.

Joey

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Had the same problem with a neighbors new pet. Solved the problem the first night! I've got one of those MONSTER water guns - shoots a 1/2 jet for 50 feet (hurts at close range). Anyway, I hid in the bushes so the dog couldn't see me (the owner either). Everytime the dog barked, it got a 1-second burst of high pressure water - made him mad as he's ever been. After 1/2 hour - and several re-loads - problem solved. He learned that if he barked, he got blasted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode