Who's got the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Kit??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Who\'s got the Rubicon Express 4.5\" Extreme Kit???

Who's used the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty Kit??? I am really considering this for my YJ and want some opinions. What other kits are good? I was going to use Black Diamond, but they're discontinued. Hope someone can help Thanx...

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Who\'s got the Rubicon Express 4.5\" Extreme Kit???

Search, Search, Search!!!

Richard
I don't have to like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 07:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you looked at their SOA?

89YJ/LT1/NV4500/5.25"Lft
"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have it but I've heard from several people that the springs are from National Springs bundles with all the RE goodies. So it has to be very very good.

A.B.

If you didn't get stuck, you didn't wheel hard enough...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jamgood: I have the 4.5" Extreme and it is very good. The ride is very good. handling is supurb on freeway when we go hunting we travel 70 mph. Before heavier bumper with tire carrier and spare on jeep ride was a liitle bouncy but with that little extra weight in rear it is very good now.I ordered there SYE also. The one that you cut the shaft and install. I know its not the strongest kit but very affordable. Also CV shaft from them.The 3 degree shim should be 6 degree for the pinion angle. I also have Curries 1" motor mount lift. Jeff

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What size tires do you run with your RE 4.5\" Kit?

I have an '89 YJ and was interested in the RE 4.5" Extreme Kit and wanted to use 33x12.5 BFG MT's or larger tire. Just wondering what size you were running and how well it all works for you.
Thanks
-Bill

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What size tires do you run with your RE 4.5\" Kit?

Same tires i'm running they work very good. I have had the express kit in now for a year and after I put on the rear bumper and tire carrier it has the weight in rear and rides very good

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got it, and it rides and flexes great. Only had one chance to flex it so far and it really impressed me. Full millitary wraps on the fixed end and half wraps on the shakle end. Good spring pads, easily taken apart too. Tapered leafs, heavy duty as he!!.

I really like these springs for the options that you have. If you order the normal kit you will get springs with different #'s of leafs(6 leaf rears and 5 leaf fronts). The front, so I have read, has a tendency to sag with the weight of a V8, bumper, and/or winch(I have the winch and bumper, V8 comming within the year), so I opted to put the rear 6 leaf on all 4 corners. This would give me a little more spring rate to deal with all the extra weight in the front. The sales man at RE said that his brother was running the RE 4.5 rears on all 4 b/c of extra weight as well, and he has the RE with 2 different springs. He said with the extra weight he couldn't tell a difference in the ride. Once installed my nose was a little lower than the rear(even with the rears on front), after settling it sits just right. After a V8 swap I expect to gain about 100 lbs.(after engine addons), about the same as adding a winch. And I have some options with these springs: 1) Do a SRS in the front(will add about 1" of lift) or 2) RE has an add-a-leaf speciffically for the Extreme duty spring(said to add about 80-100 lbs. of spring rate). If worse come to wors and the nose still sits down, you could always do both.

All in all I am very happy with the RE springs. Keep in mind that I didn't order the kit. In fact if you do some searching you can get all of the features(some even better) for a little cheaper in some cases. IMHO a great kit would be the following:1) RE 4.5" springs(rear 6 leaf on all 4 corners), 2) MORE SRS(no buggy springs), 3) Tera Revolvers on the front only(after everyone talking, I have been paying more attention, and the rears do open up on going down hill and breaking), 4) Boomerang shakles on the rear(MORE or Currie), 5) Greasable bushings(every eye), 6) MORE extended shock towers front and rear, 7) RS9000's on all 4 corners(correct length, measure and order after shock tower installation, no in cab adjustment it is a waste of money), 8) Stainless Steel extended brake lines front and rear(cheapest I have found were at JD's Offroad), 9) extended ubolts(can be found locally, maybe a ubolt flip kit or u bolt skid plates), 10) extended bump stops(cheapest you can find are fine, as long as they do their job), 11)Tera Flex new generation quick discos(removes the whole bar, doesn't leave the ends), & 12) misc. other small parts.

Later on you can add 2" body lift and run 35" tires(TJ flares will help with the clearance though).

I love the ability to add to these springs and know that they will still flex.

I will attach some pics of the springs.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-319996-RE45WHOLESPRING.JPG (73.7 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Half spring wrap

<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-319997-RE45HALFMILWRAP.JPG (54.0 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Full wrap

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-320007-RE45MILWRAP.JPG (48.9 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode