4.0 head conversion question for jaffer or anybody - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:58 PM
jeepfreak

4.0 head conversion question for jaffer or anybody

Ive been looking to build my 258 up. Ive posted questions about the 4.0 head swapp and have decided to go that route. I pick the head up tomorrow. Its out of an 94 cherokee with ony 40k miles on it. Im also getting a new tube type exhaust manifold tomorrow. I would like to build mine to be as close to jaffers as i reasonably can. Jaffer, would you mine posting what mods you have done to yours where you bought your stuff an how much each item cost? This will help me with my budget and to know where I stand now. My main concern now is what kind of feul injection to put on it. Thanks again for the help of this board.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

TIS BETTER TO HAVE JEEPED AND ROLLED THAN NEVER TO HAVE JEEPED AT ALL...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:42 AM

Re: 4.0 head conversion question for jaffer or anybody

There were no 4.0 heads available in my area, Farmington.
A local Jeep hot shot who owns a wrecking yard here makes sure of that.
So I bought a new ready-to-go ported and assembled head from Hesco.
Clifford has a similar offering.
The heads from these two outfits have already had their sometimes troublesome manifold side outboard triangular water jackets welded up and have been re-decked.
If I were to do the work on a used one I'd probably get the jackets welded or at least JB weld them, then take my Foredom flex shaft tool out and at least clean up the ports and combustion chamber, and have possablly have new bronze valve guides installed.
Others have upgraded and slightly enlarge the valve sizes, though this somtimes isn't a really good idea due to the higher temps caused by off-road use. The larger, thinner tulips of these hi-perf valves will run hotter, compounding heat build up. Plus this mod gains little advantage in off-road situations.
Your 40K mileage head will probably be OK as-is.
I'd first try a trial fit to see if you are going to have a jacket problem ...
this, I have learned, depends a lot on the particular year of your 258 block.
Many get by with no mods in this area. Others have had success using JB weld on them, then taking a large mill bastard file to the globs.
Going to 1/2" head bolts (if necessary) is always a good idea.
Machining them ($50. locally) is always the best route, but I have had one report of a sucessful hand tapping of the stock 7/16" holes of those model years (risky).
Jay at Clifford has assured this board recently that they will sell their adapter sleeves if needed.
Other cheap touch ups can include a good rotary wire brushing of any carbon build up and possably hand lapping the exhisting valve seats.
This is the old-fashioned way ... using a suction cup on a dowell stuck to the valve face to spin (lap) the valve while in it's seat using a fine abrasive silicon carbide grit.
In any case, if you dis-assemble, do keep the valves to their respective ports.
Keep your lifters and pushrods to their respective valve assembly unit also.
A thin re-decking at this point is also a good idea.
If you are talking about going through the entire engine, the list of mods is posted on my site.. which include 110/100 ft.lb. torqe plate installed boring, Badger pistons, ARP rod bolts, double roller chain, heavy duty oil pump and complete balancing .. including the dampener, flywheel and clutch.
I could have poured even more dough into it by installing roller rockers, forged pistons, and hardened or forged rods ..... $$$$$

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode