Warter Proofing & Snorkle on YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Warter Proofing & Snorkle on YJ

I have a '95 YJ, New to me as of yesterday. I run in a lot of mud and water and want to water proof my jeep. So I don't do any damage and keep my jeep in good shape has any body done this? What should I do, does anybody have plans for a home made snorkel?
Thanks,
Andy
Chicago

'95 YJ, I-6, Auto, Open Diffs, Soney stero, 215/75R15 GoodYear At's, Completly Stock, Getting tow hooks, Have big plans, lock right, 6" toatal lift 36 swampers, D44's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Warter Proofing & Snorkle on YJ

i have never snorkeled, but just as a reminder....be sure to extend all of your vents up too, like the axles, trans, and transfer case...dont want any water in those!!!

mikey...

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, RS9000s, RS5000 stabilizer, BedRug, tows my CJ-7! If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 01:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Also, I'd suggest getting an electric fan so you can control it in water crossing.

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snorkel? yup, around here in jersey we mainly play in water. I used pvc pipe and some flex hose in my CJ. I have a few buddies who have also used this on their YJs. Alot people have used the PVC pipe which gets mounted to the airbox and run it through the firewall into the cowl. Using that vent on top of the jeep for where the air comes in. Or you can cut a hole in your fender and run it along the windshield like mine. Take alook at my site.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:58 AM

I run my YJ in a lot a mud and the best thing you can do for it is to waterproof your distributor. To do this remove the cap and run a bead of silicone along the inside rim, then put it back on. Now this is the most important part, attach a hose (5/16" I think) to the vent on the cap and run it to the top of the engine compartment. Also if you want, put a little silicone on the boots of your plug wires (not too much because you don't want to screw up the contact). I suggest doing all this with a brand new cap and rotor as well as new plugs and wires. Be sure you give the silicone time to dry before you run the jeep. Before I did this, my YJ used to stall out whenever I went through any deep mud, then it'd take hours before the motor ran right again, now I can get mostly submerged without a problem.

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im in the beginning of starting my snorkel...its taken so long because Im real picky about how its going to look going through the sheetmetal(I'm using a pvc drain fitting so it will hide any imperfections in the cutting of the metal).....got to look decent as well as perform. I used 2"pvc and some plastic hosing that I got a home depot....most people here in miami, fl that head out usually just find mud and more mud. And a K & N filter up top should do fine ....it seems they only make one 2" cone filter part# 2580 and you just add ru or rc infront of the # for a rubber(ru) or chrome(rc) endcap of the cone. When Im done I'llpost some pics

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh if anyone has done this upgrade I have one question. What did you use to attach the pvc pipe to the body of the jeep. I am most likely going to use muffler u-bolts but I dont know what to use when it comes to attaching the upper portion of the snorkel....maybe drill through a coupler and slide a bolt through it...then slide the coupler over the pvc pipe and attach it to the windshield....what do you guys think?(strong enough?)

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I just took my snorkel off two weeks ago. I was running trails and kept bashing the crap out of the snorkel. My K&N filter does not have a pleasant shape anymore. I mounted the snorkel to the fender with ubolt, then ran a straight piece from between the tub and fender. I used one of the mounting bolts, so that i didn't drill anymore holes. This piece of metal i drilled another hole on the outside and used a stailess pipe clamp to connect the snorkel to the bracket. Then i mounted the top portion of the snorkel to the windshield frame by utilizing the KC light mount that is on my windshield. You windshield doesn't fold down that easy now, but it works. here goto the Tech section of our clubs website and you can see the writeup, and goto the member's rigs and look up Dan Stewart and you can see a picture of the snorkel on my jeep.
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/2529/

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "CAloosa Jeepers" member

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just FYI, ARB does sell a pre formed snorkle. It lists it only for FI YJ's but it can be adapted to both carbed YJ's and CJ's. It is pricey at $300, but sure does look nice(what that ARB makes isn't?). I'll post a pic in a second.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, etc. etc. etc.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 04:03 PM

Its a picture-link, click on it to see the write-up. I used 2.5" PVC with a K&N filter on top, 3" flexible air-intake tubing connects to the pipe after it comes into the engine bay through the corner of the hood and goes to the carb. I run a GM HEI ignition which has proved to be very water-proof, although I've been told the TFI modification can be made water-proof as well. I used silicon on my old distributor and sealed everything up tight. Raised all vent lines to the top of the roll-bar. To mount it I used metal straps with holes in it (got it from Home Depot) and simply bent it around the pipe and fitted it to the Jeep. Then I used self-tapping sheet-metal screws to attach the straps. I drilled holes in the windshield frame in the front and used the screws for the plastic soft-door fitting (you can tell from a picture at my website) to hold it up to the windshield frame- no pushing the windshield down for me! It works great and was cheap to make. Lightly sanded everything after putting it together and spraypainted it all black.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode