new steering angle theory - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

new steering angle theory

This is just a thought I'm kicking around, so bare with me:

On a lifted vehicle, to improve the steering angle of the drag link, how about this - have the standard drop-pitman, but on the other end of the drag link, where it connects somehow to the knuckle or tie rod, create some form of dove tail and put an upside down drop pitman arm. Thus, the steering angle would be more level. There would be a ball joint where the drag link connects to the pitman arm at both ends, with the other end of the top pitman connecting to the steering box, and the other end of the lower pitman being the dove tail thingy connected to the knuckle/tie rod. Does this make sense?

canis

canis
Santa drives a JEEP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: new steering angle theory

I've seen steering systems where the steering box pitman arm moves a drag link that goes to something that looks like a really long, sideways shackle mounted to the opposite framerail...the top of this "shackle" attaches to the frame, the middle to the drag link, and the bottom to a second drag link that goes to the steering ____(the link that actually turns the tires). Same sorta thing, kind of. How would you mount the 2nd pitman arm thingy??? Maybe if it was fixed on the steering link (welded/reinforced heavily)...?

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:29 PM
glennCJ7

The other thingy is called an idler arm. Check out Chevs and Dodges. I was considering trying it for a SOA steering system but don't know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, can the rigid round pin-thingy be taken from a donor steering box and installed on the knuckle/tie rod area where the second drag link would be installed, acting as the "dove tail" but without needing any special fabrication?

canis
Wheel' it, or buy a minivan!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, I get it now...I misread your post...Hmmm...In theory, it should miss hitting the leaf spring because the axle moves with the spring, ya know. You'd have to engineer it to clear the tire, but that shouldn't take much. The hardest part would be making it capable of withstanding the relatively intense side loading that it would encounter, due to the greater leverage offered by its increased length.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode