Will 30" tires fit on a stock YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will 30\" tires fit on a stock YJ?

I'm wondering if any of you guys have in the past or are currently running a 30-9.5-15 tire on a stock '88 YJ? I am running a 235-75-15. I have a salesman trying to get me to up-size to the 30" because the 235's are in short supply due to the firestone thing.
My jeep is mostly used on roads and mild trails (winter beater) so a little rubbing would be ok.
Thanks for any info,

88 wrangler laredo 258, weber 32/36, tf999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:50 PM

Re: Will 30\" tires fit on a stock YJ?

If your suspension is in good shape, there should'nt be any problems. Thy yj was offered with 30' tires as an option on the renegade models...the vaccuum cleaner models[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I hope this helps out.

Ben

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I'll be getting new tires tomarrow!

88 wrangler laredo 258, weber 32/36, tf999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 06:20 PM
Weakenedmchnix

Ha! That's funny...The vacuum Cleaner model!!

Paulee

'94 YJ Pro-Comp Coil-over kit. 33's
....and a cranky T-case.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:30 PM

Yep, they worked fine on my stock 88YJ,untill I raised it, but not because of tires.

Happy Trails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:35 PM

Picture proof that 31x10.5 tires will fit on a stock YJ (and they only rub a little!)

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:36 PM

I'd get a 1-2" lift and run 31x9.5 TSL Radials. They fit fine on stock wheels, either get a body lift or longer shackles, they are both useful for later on when the big plans become reality

'95 YJ, I-6, Auto, Open Diffs, Soney stero, 215/75R15 GoodYear At's, Completly Stock, Getting tow hooks, Have big plans, lock right, 6" toatal lift 36 swampers, D44's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's an amusing anecdote for you guys. One of the craziest things I saw while working at the local 4x4 shop was a stock YJ wrangler on 33s. Yep bone stock with 33x12.5 BFGs on stock rims. This lady lived in the southern part of the state and called up asking how much lift she would need to run 33s on her YJ. We told her a 3.5" superlift kit would clear them fine. She said that seemed like a lot of lift considering she had the tires on and the truck was stock. We said that was impossible and the Jeep would be undriveable. She drove up to get the lift put on and we had a little laugh expecting to find an addaleaf, shackle lift, or something. She showed up in a STOCK YJ with the flares removed and 33s shoved in the wheel wells. They had about an inch to move before they hit the top of the fenders. They rubbed bad and she was much happier with the Jeep lifted. Thought I'd share that one with you guys. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:20 PM

Thanks, Sycho15
Those 31"s look good on your YJ, I can't wait to get a set for my YJ. I'll be in the poorhouse for a while, my Jeep is up on jackstands getting a tranny rebuild. Thanks for your post and pic.

Happy Trails
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

I run 30's on my stock 88 YJ and have had no problems at all. They seem to be the best fit for a stock YJ.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When you do go for a new set, go for the BFG AT's. The dunlop radial rovers i have now worked pretty damn good in the snow for me, but if I have the chance, I'm putting on the BFG's when I put on the shackle lift this fall.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Jeepchick has 31's on her stock YJ. They just don't seem to belong without some sort of lift. She'll be getting one soon enough though[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
Mine is on the right in the pic.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213952-ourjeeps3.jpg (72.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in