Condenser Used As 2nd Radiator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Condenser Used As 2nd Radiator

I have been looking into setting up my Jeep with on board air. As I was thinking about how much room I would have for a pusher fan in front of my radiator after removing the condenser, I wondered if I might be able to leave it right where it was and use it to supliment the cooling system.
My condenser core covers the same area as my radiator. Is there any reason that the condenser core couldn't be in line with the radiator to increase volume and surface area in my CJ's cooling system (like 150%)? That's better than a pusher fan isn't it?
I'm just brainstorm'n here, so rain on my parade if there is a good reason not to try this. Has anybody tried this?
It's a Jeep, somebody has tried this!

CJ7 Sooner
BOOMER SOONER, BOOMER SOONER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 03:51 PM
cj7jeep

Re: Condenser Used As 2nd Radiator

No expert here, but the condenser blocks alot of "fresh air" from hitting the radiator. I would think the air flow gained by removing the condenser would yield better cooling than what the codenser would do for you.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:06 PM

This is less of a problem than the fact that the tube dia. is WAY(!!!!!!!) to small for the eng. cooling system.
It won't help at all for that, but I've seen them used with great sucsess for coolers on onboard air systems or p/s and or tranny coolers.

Just waiting for the surgeon general to ban Jeeps for being too addictive
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:25 PM

I agree; a refrigeration condenser's tubing is way too small and has too many pressure restrictive u bends in it to be of any practical use as a radiator. If you plan on abandoning your A/C system, remove it from in front of the radiator.
Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:55 PM

I think the increased air flow over the radiator will be of more use in cooling your Jeep than any extra cooling from the A/C condenser and the condenser will probably restrict your water flow. R12 or R123A are both a lot easier to push through the condencor than water.

Happy Trails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:57 PM

I think the increased air flow over the radiator will be of more use in cooling your Jeep than any extra cooling from the A/C condenser and the condenser will probably restrict your water flow. Hope this helps.

Happy Trails
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Why not try it? I mean, it's already there. If you are going to remove it anyway, give it a chance. I'd just hook it in line. Figure out which heater hose brings the water OUT of the heater core and hook it to the condenser. Then hook the hose from the condenser back to the engine. It might be worth the effort.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 06:58 AM
Way Outta Control

It will work... I've turned the one on my 83 CJ7 into an auxiliary automatic transmission cooler. It's hooked in in parallel to the OEM radiator cooler. The under dash AC condensor has been re-plumbed parallel into the engine coolant system and used as an auxilary under dash heater assembly. Both work fine... so in short... it's not going to hurt... it's best not to hook it in series with the radiator...or the heater. It willwork better in parallel because you need to move coolant volume. It's input tubes are too small and it will be a constriction to the total coolant the flow if hooked in series. Hooked in parallel the flow will divide and what would be a constriction will now take pressure off the radiator.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode