More Bumper Ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More Bumper Ideas

I'm going to build my rear bumper this weekend and have gotten it down to either of two designs.
I dont know whether to keep it rectangular or angle the ends. Is there any advantage to either??

In order to clear my fuel tank and skid plate with my receiver hitch, I need to go with 2"x8"x.188 tubing.

Comments?? Thanks

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-213403-Bumper.gif (3.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: More Bumper Ideas

I attacked a crude drawing.

You might want to rethink the 8" bumper height. If I understand you correctly, that will drop the bottom of the bumper and the receiver low enough to cause a departure problem when off roading.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213426-Bumpdraw.jpg (14.5 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Doug. The tire is so close to the rear on a Jeep that you don't need the bottom of the bumper to be as low as the tank skidplate. Besides that, 8" would look, well I won't say!

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's a pretty rough sketch to say the least, I'd put a bit more thought into your design if I was you. I've been working on a very detailed rear bumper/tire carrier in AutoCAD. It's a 3-D model with all proper measurements and dimensions for my YJ. It also includes goodies like D-ring mounts, built in back-up lights, hi-lift jack mount and whatever else I can think of. It's taken me a while to do but might as well do it right. I just got to add a few more touches and I'll post the design. Anyway I think the slanted edges look much better.

91 YJ Islander
http://www.geocities.com/tbaker2000_ca
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:50 PM

You could gain some clearance by moving the hitch into the bumper. Cut cut out the appromiate size square of metal from the bottom of the bumper and put the hitch in as flush as you can and get all weld happy (after cunsulting CJ Dave about stress relief)

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:41 PM
glennCJ7

MTjeeper
Just another idea for you. I built this one for next to nothing from a scrap yard receiver and some stuff I had around. Solid as a rock and harder than some trees. I plan to use it as an air reservoir if I ever get the compressor on, after the new engine.... trans.....someday.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:00 PM
glennCJ7

MTjeeper
Just another idea for you. I build this one for next to nothing from a scrap yard reciever and some heavy pipe I had around. It's solid as a rock and harder than any tree yet :-) I plan on using it as an air reservoir when I get the compressor on after the new engine...... trans .... some day.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 9-213851-nexttry.bmp (78.3 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 04:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

here is a simple but effective one.. i used a piece of angle iron.. and a reciever.. and on the back side i reinforced it with some stock steel.. my 20 gallon tank fits in perfect..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-214041-rearnj.jpg (21.5 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 04:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

close up of it.. im going to torch of the ends at an angle.. mostly for looks..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-214042-rearhitch1.jpg (22.9 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode