Beware of the rubberized liner in Jeeps!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Beware of the rubberized liner in Jeeps!!

I am a testament to the sloppy prep/quick careless prep to get a jeep going. I sanded down the rust on my floorboards, patched some holes with fiberglass, then painted it all with rust converter. And on top of it i painted on the rubberized coating. Oh yeah my rust problem is solved i thought. NOPE [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I found out the hard way about the rust menace always lurkd in the dark. i went wheeling and had a great time a few weeks back. When i got home i noticed the left side was sagging. This has happened before. The channel braces that jeep used, and put wood in, rotted and doesn't offer support causeing the sag. Well I knew i had to replace the channels. I took out the carpet in my jeep to access the top of my tranny to remove it, and i noticed that the body mount under the drivers feet had completely broken and entered the jeep. The lavaliner that i used hid the rust really well, no sign of any problems, until i peeled it away and saw the rust monster. I call ed th ecops about the rust monster but they said they could not do anything about it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Well i am planning on taking the tub off, after i rebuild my transfercase, and weld in new rockers, new floor boards, and new channels. I think i am going to use really thick gauge steel for the floorboards, and square tube for the support channel. I learned my lesson, i have no patience, i do sloppy prep work. It will problably happen again for me, since i really hate body work.
But my message is:
YOU CANNOT HIDE FROM THE RUST MONSTER. RUBBERIZED COATING ONLY LETS HIM FESTER INTO A STRONGER BEAST!

well off to plan my tub rebuild.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Beware of the rubberized liner in Jeeps!!

Dan,

Glad you said something - I was throwing around the Hurculiner idea myself. Sounds like a real chore, what you've got planned - please see my post on baffling JEEP bills!

P.S. - is there any good wheeling down your way? I'm up in Tampa.

canis

canis
Santa drives a JEEP
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I actually like the rubber lining, and i will do it again when i redo my jeep. This time i will try to do it the right way.

There are alot of places to wheel down here in fort myers, Naples. Right now it is mud, mud, and some more mud. We recent came back from a campout in Ocala and had alot of fun up there. Here is our website. Give a yell if you come down this way and we can take you places to wheel.
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/2529/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:32 PM

Maybe I should start a new post for this ...but has anyone checked out those Aluminum bodies advertised in the 4 X magazines,I think I would like that better than glass or steel .I bet they cost some big time bucks though.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question- If you start out with no rust on the tub and then coat it with one of the liners, is there a problem with the liner cracking and holding water in, starting a new rust pocket?

Kriss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I looked at the website for those aluminum tubs, but they didn't have the early CJ5 style. I would love to have an aluminum body, but i bet the price would be high. I didn't see a price on the web site.

I didn't have a problem with the rubber coating cracking. It was all poor prep on my part. Only thing i worry about is that i pealed the coating off in a big sheet, this made it seem like it didn't adhere that well. But i will do it again.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "CAloosa Jeepers" member

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Dan , I just finished putting in new supports in the tub as well as floors and beefed up the traverse section etc . If yours came through the floor they must have been in HORRIBLE shape prior to you doing the lavaliner. I was going to do the same as you but I guess the smart part of my brain woke up . I put the tub in the front yard and have been replacing everything . Its a hassle and I HATE bodywork too . I figure mine lasted 20 years the way the factory did it so with the panels I MADE and shaped ( NOT J.C Whitney or Omix-Oda(spelling?) it should outlast me . My .02

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

One crucial mistake that i didn't think of, since i took the tub off, when i was vey green with jeeps. The support channels had the wood in them and i left the wood in there and cut some bad sections out. So the floors didn't have really any support and the rust inside the channels was there. The outsidelooks ok when when i sanded, but the monster lay hidden deep inside. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 01:22 PM
Journeyman

Depending on the liner you use, mostly no. Herculiner which is what I used on my 99 TJ is flexable and will not crack. If it does get cut or removed somehow, you just touch it up.

Where's the Mud
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 05:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

You hit it on the nose, Prep work is what makes or breaks the job. From preping my truck to be painted 25 yrs ago, I remember being told by the painter that any rust left on the metal will actually accelerate new rust growth. THAT was GREATLY ACCELERATE. To bad there are all those little nooks and crannies on a body that make complete removal almost impossible.

Good luck on the new project.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode