Transmission Swap In CJ-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transmission Swap In CJ-5

I have a '79 CJ-5 that I built a new 304 for after throwing 2 connecting rods through the old 304...The problem is that when I was taking the transfercase and transmission out, all of the bearings in the transmission fell out of place when the output shaft slid backwards...They want more to put the transmission back together than I personally think that it's worth...

What are some suggestions for what I should do now??? Rebuild the transmission?
Adapt to a new one? (Automatic maybe)?
Convert the entire drivetrain to chevy?
I'm open for any ideas and would appreciate the help...!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transmission Swap In CJ-5

throw a T-18 behind it. It is a HD tranny (w 6.32:1 1st) and was a factory option and should bolt right up. Good Luck Finding One.

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout Dana44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA (YJ Springs), Weber 32/36, York OBA.

http://ctweb.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For the price that everyone wants for a T-18, it seems that I might as well just convert everything to Chevy, it'd probably be cheaper....That "good luck finding one" is the big let down since you hear it too often...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pick up a copy of an old Chilton's from the public library and tear into that tranny. Manual trannies aren't that tough to work on. You should be able to disasssemble and reassemble it yourself. If you did the engine, you can handle the tranny!

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:50 AM

Thats what I did. 304 T18 dana 20. I bought a cj7 for $500 that had the 258-t18 combo. bolted the belhousing and everything directly to my 304. It can be difficult to locate one, some people want $500 for just a t18. good luck

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So far, 2 say go for a T-18, and 1 says rebuild the T-150 3-speed... Any opinions out there on going automatic? Maybe a TF-904 out of a Cherokee or AMC Eagle???

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:20 PM

How about you buy my T15/bellhousing for $75 plus shipping. It's a bolt in swap with the bellhousing and will not require anything being done to the driveshafts.
The T15 was the standard 3 speed behind the 304 from 72-75 and is much stronger than the T150. I have one collecting dust if your interested.

Pigpen
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kee_Jeep-

Auto transmissions don't fit well in CJ-5's. The drive line will be too short. 1979 is the only year that the 304/T-18 combo was available from the factory. Your bellhousing (77-79) will take the CJ T-18 or the Ford T-18. as a direct bolt on. There are a few other step required. Check the off-road.com tech pages for a wealth of info.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a spare T150 that'll bolt right up too, and I'll sell it cheaper than Pigpen ([img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). However, the reason that I have this spare is because I saw the light and swapped in a T18.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, Ford T18's and 76-79 CJ t18's wont bolt to the same bellhousing. I believe the CJ T18 is about an inch shorter. Of course I am going off of memory, and I am to lazy to grab my AA book that is only 2 feet away from me. I might have a 6.32 granny 78 CJ T18 for sale. I might be buying a differant off road toy, and I am planning to swap my Jeep drivetrain into it. I will probably put my fresh 6.34 granny NV4500 that is collecting dust in my shed. If I sell my T18, it will go with a almost new ( less than 1 year old ) Borg Warner Brute Power clutch. I will not ship it, you will have to come pick it up. Make me an offer.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode