emmisions fail - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

emmisions fail

Just failed emmisions because of co. Was wondering if it could have been caused by old gas. The gas was in the tank for about 4 1/2 months. Probably should have known better, but oh well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Ed
89 Jeep YJ Sahara 4.2 auto carter carb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: emmisions fail

Ed,

Depending on how much you failed by, I'd run your tank to pretty much empty and either stop by a performance shop or at least a good gas station and get the highest octane fuel possible that won't hurt your motor. You'd only need a couple gallons or so. Put that in there, drive a round a bit so the JEEP is good and warm, and go straight to the emissions shop. Heck, NAPA even sells this stuff now - a fuel additive that you drop in right before inspection.

good luck!
canis

canis
Santa drives a JEEP
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used the emissions improving stuff in the silver bottle. I pass ever time w/ it. My Jeep was always borderline otherwise. Other ideas: over drive the air pump by swaping around the belts, premium gas, tune up, set timing to specs, set manifold idle vaccuum to max using mixture screws and richen 1/2 turn, thicker oil so less cylinder and valve stem oil blow by, new and or larger or piggy back cat converter(s), re-install air injection system, verify vaccuum hoses correct and working - I failed when my power brake booster diaphram had a small leak. That was tough to catch since I didn't notice the braking power decrease of the booster. Good luck.
-Drew M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 04:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

I more than doubled the MD. standards for emissions a few months ago[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. All I had to do to correct the problem was change the converter(needed one anyway), rehook a few vacuum lines, and clean the air filter. Passed with flying colors when I retook it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Oh.....
I also leaned the carb out to the point it was barely running. I did that about a half mile down from the emissions station.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck!
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 06:56 PM

After you get it tuned up and the old gas out of the tank, then when you take it in for the test, cover part of the air flow to radiator and get the temp. up higher than normal, not too hot though, this has worked for me when it was just off passing test. Hope this helps.

Happy Trails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If all of this stuff doesn't work, put a couple of moth balls in the aircleaner. Put them in panty hose and hook it up so they cant fall into the carb. The naphthelene will lower CO. However, I used too many and they failed me for having zero emmisions!

Ed

Just
Expect
Every
Problem
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

After you tune it up, change the oil, and get rid of the old gas; Make sure your cat is HOT. I drive at least 1/2 hour on the Interstate prior to getting checked and run the engine at 2000rpms while I am waiting in line.

I just had mine done with the following results:
HC 19.1 PPM out of 174.0 PPM limit
CO 1.12% out of 2.19
CO2 11.80 with no limit.

I am running a Weber carb, TeamRush ignition mod W/out the spring mod, stock air pump system without the funky metal tubes that run down the block and Mobil 1 oil. Unkown number of miles on the engine but supposedly ~30,000.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode