Please help with 2000 TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please help with 2000 TJ

A little history about my problem first: when I ordered my 2000 TJ, we ordered the Dana 44 rear end. The dealer came back and said that we couldn't get a 44 with auto transmission. I told them they were wrong, they said they checked again and that no, I couldn't do it. In then end I got a Dana 35 that will need to be upgraded. I recently called Chrysler Canada and confirmed with them that the Dana 44 was available with auto transmission and that I should have been able to order it, however, they say I need to take this up with the selling dealer. The dealer insists they were right.
Here's is where I'm hoping for some help from the Jeeping community. I have spoken/e-mailed with several people that have 2000 TJs with automatic and dana 44, so I know they're out there. I am hoping that anybody that has this set up can e-mail me, and include other options (ie 30" tires, trac-lock, etc) so that I can take a stack of papers to the dealer supporting me. I figure the more paper I can show them the better chance I have of making them realize they made a mistake, and then I can ask/demand that they sell the 44 for the price difference between a 35 and 44 and that they install it for me, which I think is reasonable.
Thanks in advance for helping me with this. Please pass this message on to anybody else you know that has a 2000 TJ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Please help with 2000 TJ

Go to Jeepsunlimited.com and post your msg on the Wrangler board. There is a ton of TJ owners there.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As part of your research look into this: There was a time period when the 44's were either not available or very hard to get. Had to do with a wave of sepcial orders for that axle, I think. If that is the case, know that going in.

I have been surprised in the past with the total LACK of knowledge that most Jeep sales people have. It may be that Jeep frowns on sales people having technical knowledge particularly about vehicles that are so prone to being modified by owners or prospective owners. A liability thing, I guess. I can just see a 22 year old Jeep salesman telling a prospective new 21 year old customer how he can put 44" tires on his new ride if he just buys it today.

If it turns out that you do have a legitimate complaint, begin NOW making notes, notes and more notes. "XXX told me on xxdate that he checked with xxhome office and found that the 44 wasn't available on ----" Notes made on or about the time the event actually happened are allowed as evidence in many types of court proceedures. Look at all the notes in the margins that are causing the current administration so many headaches now.

It would seem reasonable that if the dealer really did give you bad info, info that they should reasonably have been able to get correctly, which you took in good faith, that they have an obligation to make it right.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 04:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have never seen a 2000 tj with the auto and the 44
I looked VERY hard.. i asked 7 dealers in NC, and i made my dad ask a bunch in wisconsin.... always the same thing.....not available. when rich(infantryj)m wanted to buy a tj a couple months later, he looked even harder than i did..... but with the same results.. i have seen other years with the auto and the 44, but not a 2000.......on a similar note, my nv 3550 is getting replaced friday under warranty.. there have been some problems with it recorded...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to the local Jeep dealer here and they said the same thing. You can't get that for the 2000 models. Well low and behold we looked and in their lot they had 3!!! He just said oh, I guess I do. They are out there. If you just ask.

Lean??? What Lean???
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dont know about Canada, but in the States they are not supposed to be avialable with auto and a 44. You can still get a manual w/ 44 but not auto. I work closely with Tera Manufacturing and they ordered a 2000 with auto, and they work closely with several Jeep dealers and Jeep themselves and they could not get it with a 44. You may have seen some late 99 sold in 2000 with the 44, but the word from Jeep is that starting in 2000 autos would not be avialable with a 44, dumb and stupid, but that is what they are doing.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:45 AM

Yer dealer is crazy, lazy or incompetent.
I e-mailed you the invoice of the 2000 TJ Sahara I bought for my son this time last year equipped with an Auto trannie and Dana 44 rear end.
There WAS a rumor out that they weren't available and due to great demand for release of this 2000 year model, the manufacturer MAY have nixed this option for a while to help speed up the assembly line.
My kid is still mad at me for instisting on the Dana 44 because he wanted ani-lock brakes instead which are not available on the Dana 44 option.
He will blame me if he gets into a wreck due to a skid.
But he may praise me if the Dana helps him get out of a tough spot.
Sometimes there are no winners.
BTW, IMHO: The dealer will deem your demand unreasonable in either case.
You have a fight on your hands.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hmmm.. first i heard of that jaffer... maybe it was only in the saharas????? i didn't look at them.. i only looked for sports....now I'm peeved.. i really wanted an auto.....but i wanted the 44 more...... oanother thing....I thought all the 44's came with a trac loc?//// mine and rich's didn't!

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 12:10 AM

Attached is the invoice.
Read it and weep ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-214745-Joey'sTJInvoice2.jpg (81.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode