NP231 Transfer Case Crack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP231 Transfer Case Crack

A few weeks ago, I ended up breaking my transmission/transfer case mount (it mounts to the skid plate) on my 94 Wrangler Sahara. I think this happened when I jumped a dune and landed hard at the sand dunes near my house. I didn't even know it happened until I decided to change all my fluids and noticed the transfer case leaking. After removing the skid plate, I noticed that the leak was coming from a pin-sized hole in the front half of the transfer case housing. The hole was caused when the transfer case hit the skid plate.

Question: What are my options?
1) Can I solder/weld/patch the pin-sized hole to temporarily get by?
2)Should I buy a new front half of the housing from the dealership?
3) Should I buy a used/rebuilt transfer case from a junk yard, and do you think they sell used front housings?
4) Would a better option be to buy the Teraflex 4:1 crawler gear option for the transfer case? They include a new front housing?
5) Should I buy a transfer case from the dealership?
6) Should I buy an Atlas II transfer case?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Dino Filias
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NP231 Transfer Case Crack

Heck, if you can afford it buy the Atlas! And BTW, no matter what you see on TV or in the movies, relatively stock vehicles WERE NOT made to get airborn. The usual thing that happens with Jeeps is a bent frame. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, the airborn-ness occured because you need speed to make it up these dunes, and they are constantly changing. I just under-anticipated the crest of the hill.

Also, I talked to a Jeep Dealership mechanic and he recommended using some simple JB welding epoxy. He says he uses it all the time. There really is no pressure involved inside of the xfer case. The only thing I'm worried about is the integrity of the housing... it may crack over time. I just need a quick, cheap fix to be able to drive around.

The Atlas is nice, but at $2200 plus shipping, plus a longer driveshaft, I'd be looking well into $2500. I need a cheaper solution than that.

The Teraflex 4:1 kit seems pretty reasonable. At $1000, you get a new front housing, new planetary gear, seals and shafts. Plus I won't have to invest in a longer driveshaft right away. I can add a SYE kit and longer driveshaft later.

Dino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:06 PM

I think if you were planning on getting 4:1 kit in the future then maybe you should just get it now. For one thing it's a good excuse to buy something expensive for your Jeep. This is probably the route I would go if I were in your shoes and had the money for it.

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>
[email protected]
http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Or if you need a temporary fix, until the 4:1 gets there and you have time to install it, go with the JBWeld...it certainly won't hurt anything...just make sure the hole is clean and the t-case is empty when you patch it...and don't push too much JBWeld into the hole (don't wanna have a big bump on the inside, eh?)

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode