Steering/body lift question--YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering/body lift question--YJ

I have an 89 YJ--just did a 2" body lift. I didn't do as the instructions tell. It said to undo and remove the bolt that holds the steering shaft on the steering box and undo and remove the bolt that holds it up next to the firewall. Then remove the shaft.

Well, I just lifted it and noticed that the steering shaft slid about 1". I got to wondering why it didn't slide 2" so I looked at the instructions and there it was. Anyway, this was talked about in a previous post but I've become confused so I reposted my problem. I now did as the instruction say, I've removed both bolts, but how do you remove the steering shaft??? I tried to slide it back 1" and take it out but I couldn't get it to budge.
And, it said to slide down the rubber grommet until you see the small spring, remove it but do not the big spring? What is all this? I was able to slide the rubber grommet where ever I wanted it. I turned my steering and do not notice any problems yet, but that is just sitting in my driveway. I haven't been able to actually test drive it with the body lift on because I'm trying to tune my fuel injection. But today is the day I actually get to drive my jeep and tune my fuel injection, I'm just not wanting any steering problems when I go out. So any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Again, it's an 89 YJ 2" body lift.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering/body lift question--YJ

To remove your steering shaft completely you may have to loosen the steering box as well. You should not have to remove it but just loosen the bolts that hold it to the frame rail. This will give you a little extra 'slack' to pull the shaft off. Be sure to check the engagement of the splines on both the box end and the steering column end. I am not sure about the 'spring' that you speak of. sorry.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The instructions say after removing the steering shaft--"extend the shaft. Slide the rubber grommet down from the position at the slip joint. Extend the steering shaft until the small spring is exposed. Remove the small spring clip. NOTE: There are 2 spring clips in the steering shaft. A small one and a large one. Be sure that the large spring clip remains in the original position, and that the steering does not extend enough to expose the large spring clip. Slide the rubber grommett back to its original position.
Reinstall the steering shaft in the vehicle. align the marks made earlier at the gear box and the column. Reinstall both steering shaft mounting bolts. Tighten to specs.
So My Question is--what would happen if I just drove it as is? Not doing this step. It extended out about 1" on it's own. Is that enough or will something break, give, or snap while I'm going down the road.?? All other vehicles I've done body lifts on the steering just slid. But no, not a jeep! Has to be difficult.!! Any way--please give your adice.

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:44 AM
Wrangler88

i went threw the same questioning when i did my 2 inch body lift on my 95 wrangler, i decided not to take out the spring and just let it extend, and i've been driving it for at least 4 months with no problems, it did extend, at first the steering was really stiff and make a metal on metal sound, but it went away after a few day, i've ask that question before about the springs and nobody has really answered it, so if u find out let me know!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode