Am I a Moron? CJDave please help NJR - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Am I a Moron? CJDave please help NJR

Ok this has very little to do with Jeeps but I needed to turn to the wise Jeepers I've come to depend on for help. I currently have some 32" buckshots on my Tacoma and some 33" BFG muds in the garage. The mission to get the 33s on the Taco. I already have a 2" body lift so an additional 2" in the suspension will give me plenty of room. I've been planning to make some spacers to lower the front strut assembly to give me the lift I need, a fairly common practice on Tacomas. While searching the internet I found a set of spacers made by a well known company that were selling for $99. I figured why mess around for 100 bucks? As usual by not merely making the part myself I made myself more work and wasted money. Here's a quick run down of the problem. The tacoma uses a strutish coilover contraption that is mounted on a strut tower and on the lower control arm half way between the bushings and ball joints. How much would I have to lower the strut assembly to get the 2" of lift? I'm 99.999999999% certain I know the answer, through measuring, thinking and the fact my buddy already lifted his Tacoma in this fashion. However the company which sells the spacers disagrees and refers to my idea as " a nice theory". So I'll leave it at that and then tell you what I think they should be, after my fellow suspension gurus share their thoughts. Thanks for the help.
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 03:20 AM
jeepfreak

yes

The answer to your question in the subject line is yes. This is a Jeep board not a Toy board. Try the Toy board to get the answer.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

TIS BETTER TO HAVE JEEPED AND ROLLED THAN NEVER TO HAVE JEEPED AT ALL...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Am I a Moron? CJDave please help NJR

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] are at a loss to give you the answer on this one, but generally, you have to lower the bushing end of the arm 2" and the tower would be lowered 1" to effect a 2" lift; since the strut hooks halfway out on the control arm. That is how it SEEMS to me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:50 AM
Old Hand

I contemplated the front of a Tacoma of a friend who has a little lift. If I have identified the parts correctly...I agree with CJDave.

Does that give you a warm fuzzy or what?

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:13 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I like models - they don't lie. take a ruler and the edge of a desk and you can do this real easy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Moving the center of a lever (pivoting off of one end) a distance of 1" will always move the other end 2".

Let me guess - are we talking about All Pro? Come on - spill the whole story!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: yes

Jeepfreak I know your new here so let me tell ya that we often get off topic and that we always try to help each other,and besides the question was directed to CJDave even though it was posted here on the board,where some of the other guys might be able to help.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepfreak,
Kiss my a$$, I'm well aware this is the Jeep board, it is full of friendly people who are knowledgable in a lot more then Jeeps. Perhaps you don't fit in here in spite of the fact you own a Jeep, I don't think you fill the friendly part of the criteria. The NJR in the title sould have been a clue that the post was NON JEEP RELATED, and you could have ignored it. You'll need help someday and it'll be my pleasure to ignore you. That's all I got to say about that.

CJDave, Hank, Drm:
Thanks for the answers you are telling me exactly what I wanted to hear. Here's the whole story. Yes DRM I screwed up and ordered the spacers from All-"pro" to save myself the time and frustration. I was expecting a 1" thick spacer to give my truck the 2" I'm after, I received a 2" thick one. Upon talking to Chris from All-pro he said that the 2" spacers would give me the lift I desired, when I explained that with the strut being halfway out on the arm it would only need to be 1". He said that was a nice theory but they put the 2" spacers on their Tacoma, which has adjustable coilovers and they worked fine. So I figured I'd measure and make sure I was right before I did anything further. I pulled the strut and jacked up the truck to the desired height and the distance increased an inch. I them called my friend who lifted his Tacoma 3" using a spacer and found out how thick his was. I then ran my theory across everyone I knew and even my friends 4 year old, they all agreed 1" was all I needed. So I called Chris back figuring our previous conversation would have got him thinking. He still insisted he was right and refused to make me a 1" thick spacer. So I was going to spend today lifting my truck so I can get back to more important things, like my Jeeps, and wanted to see if perhaps I was missing something. The guys on the toyota board aren't very Tacoma friendly and CJDave's knowledge of everything under the sun never fails to amaze me so I figured I'd ask my Cyber Jeeper pals. The scary part is Chris claims to have sold over 40 sets of their spacers, but that's not my problem I tried. So thanks for your guy's help this simple task has already cost me a weekend which could've been spent getting the Heep mobile. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er....on rethinking this, it appears that you would need a 2" strut spacer, since the angle of the lower control arm RELATIVE TO THE FLOOR does not change, the Taco just raises 2" straight up. So I am amending my answer to reflect that line of thinking, and it would appear that the 2" all around is the correct setup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:52 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

But the angle of the lower control arm would change.

The end of the lower control arm at the tire is your point that will not move. By using the spacer, the end of the lower A arm that attaches to the frame pivot is what will raise, correct?

What I am still unsure of now that you brought this up is just how much it will raise the vehicle...

Let me make some more redneck pencil models and see if I can figure this out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But the more I think about how the suspension works, I think part of that 2" spacer's height will be eaten up by a slight spring compression because of the added leverage you are putting on the spring by forcing it to lift the truck... Anyone follow that? I an starting to think this is why the spacer is taller than we would think is needed...

Besides - this is no longer a discussion about Toyota or any other brand - this is an interesting physics problem [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DITTO - no further message

Ditto

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode