Dusy Ershim Trail Pictures - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Dusy Ershim Trail Pictures

Well I finally got my scanner set up again,(in a makeshift office I have in my company supplied suite).
So here are some pictures of Gary, Arron and I, on the Dusy Ershim Trail. Gary and Arron both have very well prepared CJ7s and I have my YJ. The trail this year was brutally tough and turned around a couple of other So Cal Jeep clubs due to attrition. There was 6 Jeeps in our group 3 YJs, 2 CJs, and a TJ, we actualy held our own very well against the trail. I think everyone but Arron got stuck at least once, including my bone head move on the very last rock of the trail(after I had mentioned to everyone to take extra caution on the last hard stretch and the run to the finish line), Oh well what can I say. So here are the pics, Ill have to post them in several posts, so if anyone can post them all in one post, please feel free, I would appreciate it. The first pic is me and gary at the top of chicken rock. We are at about 8500 ft at that area I believe(most of the trail is above 9000 ft ASL.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213069-chickenrock.JPG (28.7 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dusy Ershim Trail Pictures

Here is a pisture of Gary and his CJ climbing Thompson Hill. This hill is a few miles long and climbs 600 ft in .2 miles at one section. Talking to a Ranger later at Swamp lake, he told me that they haven t been able to maintane the trails due to budget cuts, I love it the trail was very tough. A lot of the log bridges and such were in bad shape.
Climb Gary, Climb!!!

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213072-Thillgary.JPG (36.8 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

This is me climbing Thompson Hill, It was a very steep section and opted for an even steeper line, which eventualy lead to me putting a hook on a tree to make sure i didnt go over with all of the camping weight, Whewww, what a climb.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213074-T.HillJeff.JPG (32.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Here is Arron and his CJ comming down a steep slick rock. It was a steep rock and had everyone a little nervouse with all the extra weight we were all carrying. Arrons CJ worked great and it was nice to have him in the tail gunner spot throughout the week. Gary was the mother duck and lead the entire trail.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213079-slickrockarron.JPG (40.4 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Here is one of me and the YJ just after Kaiser pass where we eventually climbed to above 10,000 ft ASL before dropping down to about 9000.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213086-KaiserJeff1.JPG (33.3 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Here is one more just before the end of trail. After this we headded off to Coyote lake, for whole new trail. I didnt get many pictures though at Coyote.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-213088-KaiserJeff2.JPG (36.8 KB, 3 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Some great Jeepshots, H8. The reworked front axle on that YJ is so much cleaner now with everything moved up top. I get a kick out of seeing the side view of the "camprack" and all the gear. It may be an advantage to have that little extra since it does balance the engine weight somewhat. With a hardtop, I think a Jeep is close to 50-50, but without one you need a few extra pounds back there. How did the engines run at 10,000' ASL? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

It looks heavier than it is. I only put stuff like sleeping bags, chairs and dry goods back there. I put the ice chests right behind the seats, and the spare tire is rioght over the rear axle. It ballanced a little better though, with the 6 cylinder. But the 2.5 worked flawlessly. The steering speaks for itself, I love the way it handles.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Oh Yeah.....I keep forgetting that you have the Mighty Mite under the hood now. You know, if the truth were really known, the small engines are sometimes an advantage. Years ago, a Jeep buddy took the four-banger out of his flatfender and installed a V8 Chev-Lay and after that it was just one problem after another with breakage; whereas with the four-hole he just had to cuss and restart the engine. He was eventually killed when he blew a front driveline going up a loose slope and the Jeep got sideways and rolled numerous times. I never forgot that lesson, and I am of the not-much-HP-but-lotsa-gears school of thought. His flattie just seemed to be so much more climbable and more nimble with that little F-head up there.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

man.. i need to get some west coast stuff in.... looks great.....
ps..good thing you had a cj there to pull you up the steep stuff..LOLOLOL

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode