258 carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

258 carb

My brother just got his 82 or 83 CJ7 running again. He wants/needs to replace the carb and perhaps the intake. He needs some ideas that will be smog legal(Idaho). A search on this board revealed that the Weber is the carb of choice. Is it smog legal?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 258 carb

It is my understanding that the Weber is sold for "off road use" only. I've had one for over 2 years, great carb, but most likely will not pass if you have visual inspection.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad's correct. The Weber will fail the visual emmissions tests if you have one. I don't. Mine did pass the Delaware tailpipe test when I lived there
-Drew M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:08 PM

I believe the Weber 32/36 is legal while the 38 isn't. I've got the 38, since it produces more HP (but less torque) and I used to play in the mud where that was required. It really needs a cam to make the 38 work...

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Neither is legal in most states, this is due to the adjustable mixture screws, factory carbs that fell under emissions standards usually had the air screw covered or sealed. Pretty stupid IMO, but leave it to the feds.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont know much about other states, but here it seems that most inspectors would not know what they are looking at when it comes to older jeeps and what was stock and what was not. I work at MEPCO 4x4 and we sell the Weber carbs all day long for the 258s and I have had only one person come back and say they could not get it through inspection and it was because it was failing the sniffer test and not the visual inspection. It turns out the people installing it must have been idiots, because after I told them were to take it to have it tuned, they never returned. They will pass the sniffer tests without trouble IF they are tuned right. That is the key especially for high altitude areas. They come calibrated for sea level and must be re-jetted to work at the higher altitudes. If you do that you should not have a problem. Good Luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones input. My brother bolted on a weber right out of the box and has been driving it. He told me that he has not even fine tuned it yet and it didn't need any adjustments at all to make the engine idle very smooth.

Scott

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how does the webber do on extreme angles? is there a way to make the bbd work well in off-camber situations? i've lowered my floats a bit, and bypassed the "computer", but she still coughs a bit on the steeps

84'cj7,258,tfi,compbypass,33swampers,lincoln rear,lockrightfrnt,4"superliftw/1"shackles
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 10:07 AM

I also had the same problem, at extreme angles, it would cough, sputter, run rich. Lowering the floats worked for me, but alot of people report that a small fuel pressure regulator set to maybe 2 or 3 works well, too. Do a search here, it was covered in depth not to long ago
Bob in MA

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 12:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I guess what is officially legal depends on your state. Massachusetts doesn't have a visual, but my weber has passed the tailpipe test for about 3 years now, and that was with full mechanical fuel pump pressure, and no adjustments out of the box, other than idle mixture. I just put the adj. fuel pressure regulator on it, because everyone here said it helps on inclines. I've been very happy with the weber, and it takes quite an incline to make it cough. ...but, there's always a bigger incline. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have to put the Jeep on the dynomometer emissions test this year come November, so that ought to be interesting. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, JKS 1.25" body lift, 33"BFGMT, 9000# winch, homemade rear tire carrier, reb. 258, 999 auto, 4.10 axles, weber 32/36 carb w/adj. reg., GMHEI, CJ dash, ...and one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode