Home built TBI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Home built TBI

I'm trying to figure out a tbi unit from scratch,i can get most every thing for nothing(junkers at my shop).I plan on using parts from a 90 4.3 chevy truck.were can i find an adapter plate for the throttle body to manifold?does anyone make said manifold?
thanks,
Matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Home built TBI

Join the Howell users group here....

http://home.att.net/~jweir/tbi/inject.htm

Ask your question there.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 07:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

It should be real doable. I also think that the Howell kit is basically the same as what your trying to do, G.M. parts. But why not use the intake and injector rail from a 4.0 and make a port setup? The Mopar mpfi kit is basically a '95 4.0, which uses the Mopar sequential injection. You could use this intake, injector rail, and throttle body, with the G.M. dist. and build a synchrous port, speed density, system just as easy. Look for the wiring harness, computer, and dist. from a early 3.8l. Buick. This would give you the ignition, and method of firing the injectors, without the messy crank angle sensor problems of the spfi kit. If you are going to experiment, I think you should try the port setup since the manifold is readily available Hey, those 4.0l H.O. intakes and rails are a dime a dozen in yards. I could even give you one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmm,thanks for the input,squenel(sp)is not a bad idea.as i've said,i have access to parts(also complete wiring diagrams,ect.)putting in a cam sensor is not to far fetched,(i am lucky,i have a complete auto repair facility at my disposal,and a boss who's into hotrod's)a 3.8 seems too small,a 4.3 will compensate for a larger cam.although a 3.8 (set up with a sripted throttle body would make for more horsepower,still i need an adapeter to the manifold!the local machine shop can probably do me alright,but....
Yes, i know,i could make more power with a small block.But i'm a cert. emiss. tech.,i want to make a lean ,mean ,GREEN, machine!!!cat and all emiss.devices will be in play.(hey ,if i can't set an example,how can i charge for fixin folk's veheical's).I have all the piecses's,minus the adapter plate!!Trust me,it'll be a bad ass rig when done(and i'll give credit ware(sp) do,to you folks)and the state of Ind.will give thier nod of approval( if it passes numbers,they have to!!!).i still need an intake!please help,if it works, i'll post all the details(if not i'll hide!!)If i have to have one made,i'll let you know the man that does it

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

P.S. mas air flow sensors suck!!to twichy

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree about the mass air flow sensors, but on the newer systems like ford uses, they are only used for learn functions. This means that the system is still a "speed density" system, and the mass air flow only corrects for engine wear and altitude, and does not really control fuel directly. By using a 4.3 G.M. , you are still using a throttle body. If you use the 3.8, you can hook up the factory Mopar port injectors, and fire them with the dist. and still have conventional vacuum and centrificial advance. Getting the H.E.I. dist. to fit into the 258 has already been solved. Look at about an '87 3.8 Buick's wiring diagram, the ones before the D.I.S. and see if the combination of the G.M. computer and dist. will work with the intake and injector rail from a '94 4.0l Cherokee. I think that this would make a tits setup which would be easy to modify fuel delivery and ign. timing.

I'm not steering you away from the junkyard Howell setup. But I think that port injection is far superior than throttle body, and both methods can be had at the junkyard for the same price. There is much more support for the throttle body setup, including the diyefi site which will write eproms for you. But it you can get the port system to work, there is a big market for something cheaper than the spfi kit.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 03:33 AM
jeepfreak

This is somthing that Im also looking into. I dont know much about feul injection but Im in the process of putting the 4.0 head on my 258 and would really like to be able to put feul injection on it without spend $1600 for the Mopar injection kit. A junkyard setup would be awsome. Ive been following this subject for a while now and Im waiting for someone else to do it before I bite the bullet.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

TIS BETTER TO HAVE JEEPED AND ROLLED THAN NEVER TO HAVE JEEPED AT ALL...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode