LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

TF999 help!

Well, my TF999 rebuild was tested out this week with the following results:

1. Goes Forward.
2. Goes backward.... kinda...

Symptoms:

When in reverse I can hear, and feel the clutch packs engage. In reverse the Jeep will barely move. If I put it in 4WD, I can get it to move in reverse.

With the rear axle on a Jack and the tires in the air, and the trnasmission in reverse, the back wheels will "want" to spin weakly. When the break is applied the rotation stops... and seems to want to start to rotate foward.

Now when I took the valve body apart (Mistatke) parts went flying everywere... and I think I may have a valve, and or a spring, in backwards permitting the foward clutch to have some fluid movement when in the transmission is in reverse.

The foward and reverse clutch band pressures are correctly adjusted.

The manual does not show an adaquate teardown of the vavle body. DC shows only that the vavle body exists and charges a small fortune for a rebuilt one...

Question: Does anyone have a diagram of the tear down for the TF727, TF904 or the TF900 vavle body that would show the positioning of the valves and springs?

Except for this little problem, the rebuild went smoothly!

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 05:05 PM

Re: TF999 help!

IF I recall, reverse is made with teh rear band and the front clutch.

I HAD a book, I sold it, the manuals are cheap and they show all of the locations of the check balls inside the grooves, I even took a video of my own when I redid it, but it was a long time ago and recorded over by now.

have you driven it forward? des it slip? does it shift like it should?

if you adjusted that Throttle pressure valve it might be weal pressure all around.

I wish I still had the books, so i could help you more!

I went thru this too, mine would loose reverse after a few miles
I called everyshop in town with a phone, once they heard I had rebuyilt it myself most of htem would hang up on me or quote bunches of money to "look" at it.

let me know if i can help, and GOOD LUCK!

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

LEVE

I have the pictures and the books. I don't have a scanner though. I would be glad to make copies and snail mail. Did you lay it out in order of disassembly and reverse to reassemble? There are a few places you can get messed up if you don't on the first one. Did the balls in the valve body fall out when you took it apart? (upper and lower halves) They have to be in the right place or you're in deep stuff. Also, before you tear it out check the line pressure. Pictures will help on that one. Start looking for a good guage. It puts out about 250psi in reverse. Also,what year is it? The late 80's and up have a lower gear set. From 2.45 low to 2.73~ I think. That would be a good upgrade if you don't have it already. More crawl power and better git go at the stop lights!
If I can help, let me know.

CJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

CJeep... well I could use a good breakdown... Could you email me off forum... and I'll let you know whath I need? Thanks... you could be a lifesaver.... 'cus if this transmission dosen't start going in reverse soon... my wife is going to kill me!

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode