Please help us out! Sell the TJ? or NOT! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please help us out! Sell the TJ? or NOT!

Hey, We need your help.

My buddy owns a 97 TJ with a bunch of mods. Ford 9" rears, gears, lockers, winch, bumpers, etc. He is trying to save some money for a house cause he is getting married. Now, He has a lot of money in his TJ and he has payments, and high insurance. He is trying to keep the TJ on all four tires since he still has payments. Well, he has had it on its side once already.

He is considering maybe getting rid of the TJ for a CJ and a daily driver. That way he doesn't have to worry about breaking the CJ.

He seems to think that having a cj and truck will be less expensive in the long run. He understands that the CJ will need all of the mods.

I am trying to explain to him that he will probably spend more money in the long run having two older vehicles, and he'll have to spend a lot of time building up a cj so its as good as his tj is now..

What do you guys think? Just reply here and I will let him know about this message later once a lot of people have replied. Take a look at this site.
www.jeepeast.com

He thinks that it might be

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-212663-jetitle.jpg (28.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:01 PM
joeybcdt

Re: Please help us out! Sell the TJ? or NOT!

Go for the CJ. I hate having just one vehicle.

Joey

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:09 PM

Joeybcdt- He's not talking about also getting a CJ, he's talking about selling the TJ and buying a CJ so he won't have the payments. He could never get out of the TJ what he has into it. What he needs to do is look into more creative means of buying a house. You can do it for little to no money down if you know how and can find a seller willing to cooperate.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:14 PM
Journeyman

I think with what he has in the TJ he should keep it and get a (tow vehicle/daily driver) when he can afford it.He'll never get out half what he put into it and he'll have to start all over.

Where's the Mud
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I understand his thinking...one dependable daily driver, one " who cares what I do it it" trail rig. BUT, like everyone has said, he will never get out what he put into the TJ. So do you sell it for a loss, and get enough cash for a CJ which will UNDOUBTEDLY end up costing a fortune in build up mods and buy a daily driver truck with an unknown mechanical history. I dont think it will work out they way he plans in the long run.

He's used to wheeling a real nice, capable trail jeep...one that cathches looks and compliments. He's gonna want a CJ that does the same. A stock CJ without lockers after owning a locked 35 shod rig ain't gonna please him. By the time he fixes up a CJ with its inevitable rust issues, AMC20, Dana30, lift , gears, tires, lockers, carb, motor, tranny, cage, etc... he's going to be pretty deep into it.

Next is the issue of the daily driver. Probably needs to consider towing capabilities cause if he's gonna wheel like he doesn't care if it breaks...he's gonna need a way to get the CJ home when it does break [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. That would mean a truck of sufficent size to tow the CJ and to keep costs down would put him in older model trucks. Great rigs, but may get horrible mileage and be less dependable than a new small truck with low mileage. He also needs a daily driver thats dependable. That puts him into later year model vehicles
and higher priced rigs.

Then throw into this mess the insurance for TWO vehicles. Full coverage on one if money is owed on the daily driver. Inspections and tags for both. Gotta decent tread on the tires for both. Might need a trailer to tow the CJ. Are we saving money yet? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Shain

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

no no no no... I have a tj, and i have a(few) cj's..
i am pretty sure that the cj's cost more than the tj monthly
you have to buy stuff for the cj... be it a top, or clutch..or whatever... EVERYTHING is worn out in them.. remember that the very newest cj is now about15 years old.. and 15 year old car parts are worn out!.. that means everything needs to be rebuilt or replaced.. you will not save $$$ like this... the tj also gets about 17 mpg...where the cj WILL get worse...
and, like said before, a cj is no real winner when it comes to stock parts.. most things need replacing for strength...
keep the tj...keep the tj.....keep the tj...
well i just changed my mind.. if he has a jeep like that, that he built, and he can even concider selling it.... maybe he doesn't deserve it anyway.....but.. he will get less for it than he probably thinkstoo....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK Brian...thanks for starting this post...lol

Here's my thinking on the whole thing:

I don't plan on getting much back out of the TJ at all. I'm willing to take a huge loss on it just to get out of my $600/mo car payment & insurance cost. I owe about 6k on the TJ still, so I'd like to pay the TJ off & buy a daily drive/tow rig & a project CJ. I can pickup a truck for $1500 from a guy in the neighborhood & a project CJ for under 1k (hopefully). With the money I have left over I can get a lot of parts to get me started on the CJ.

There is no way that I'll ever spend as much on a CJ as I do on my TJ. Most parts that I'll need for the CJ I can pick up used. Every time I pickup something for the TJ it costs $$$$$$$$.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to register, insure, or inspect the CJ so I don't have to worry about the costs there & truck will only have liability insurance.

So, does this make any sense to anyone???

Mark
http://www.jeepeast.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:55 PM
RedSandDog

I went the daily driver/CJ route. My opinions:

A CJ will not save you money. As some others have pointed out, to build a CJ to the point of what you have now, $$$$$$$$$. I love my CJ, but cheap it ain't, and it always needs something.

The money that you have invested and cannot recover by selling the TJ is gone, the only way to recoup that investment is to run the TJ until it is worn out (which would be fun). If you eat the loss and sell the TJ and then build up a CJ (which you would be doing instead of wheeling the TJ) you are just doubling the unrecoverable investment in the Jeep. Plus if you are getting a house then I am guessing there will be some work to do on the new house. Sounds like a lot of work and not so much trail time.

Now, if you keep the TJ and get a daily driver that isn't a tow vehicle, like some kind of tolerable econo-box, and designate that as you primary vehicle for insurance purposes, that could save some real $$$$$. And maybe refinance the TJ.

I don't know what the real numbers would look like in your case, but the TJ sounds really sweet. I would try to keep it.

'74 CJ-5, 258, NP435, D44 w/LockRite
(OK, well the np435 is in the garage next to the Jeep)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:58 PM
RedSandDog

OK, just saw the attached .jpg. Nice Jeep.

'74 CJ-5, 258, NP435, D44 w/LockRite
(OK, well the np435 is in the garage next to the Jeep)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:58 PM

Ditch the old Lady ...Keep the TJ ....Get a CJ ....or forget the jeep thing until you get the married ,house ,Kids ,thing squared away, or it will just put a crimp in the relationship,unless she is a very understanding Chick.
Nobody really needs advice on this stuff ,cause people generally know what they need to do ,the rough part is.... doing it.
I need a trans for my CJ .....My daughter needs ANOTHER $300.00 for college ...so the trans must wait.That pretty much sums it up.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode