Bent NP231 output slip yoke - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bent NP231 output slip yoke

My jeep is built for rock crawling, so when I took it to some local dunes, I bottomed out the suspension a number of times. I developed a bad vibration that is noticable at all speeds, and starts howling and vibrating like all hell when I hit 70mph. I took the rear drive shaft off and put the transmission into gear with the engine on to turn the splined out-put shaft. I found that there is some wobble in the shaft, so is the shaft bent, or is the problem inside teh t-case? I ordered a new shaft today but after I ordered it, I realized that the problem could be in the t-case itself, not a bent shaft. Please help! I plan on eventually usaing the rubicon express sye, if that makes any difference.

1996 Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bent NP231 output slip yoke

Most likely a bent shaft, check your driveshaft also, it could be damaged too.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bent NP231 output slip yoke

Your transfer case is most likely fine. I had the same thing happen to my 88 except the reason I noticed it was the tail housing was busted. I replaced the shaft myself. It is a pretty easy job. While you have it apart you might as well put new pads on the shifter forks and replace the back bearing on the output shaft. unless you see a dent or something on the drive shaft I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode