These JEEP bills are baffling! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

These JEEP bills are baffling!

My question is this:

How the heck do some of us manage to build these JEEP's to a point worthy of dubbing them "extreme?" I just spent $147 on a pair of shackles. Granted, they come with greasable bolts and poly-bushings, but dang! The prudent course of action would be to replace the spring hangers (CJ to YJ - $60 or so), spring plates (CJ to YJ in the front) and go ahead and install some form of lift all at the same time while I've got the springs disconnected.

Basically, I could easily rack that one up to over $1,000. Just on the basics of the suspension. With each individual component running $100 to $5,000, how the heck to y'all manage to build these complete rigs!? I am fully aware that "JEEP owner" and "lottery winner" are not synonymous. Many of you are in my salary range (well under $50,000).

Is it a time thing? I've had my '82 CJ-7 about 18 months, but it feels like forever and that I should be drug out and shot for the neglect I've shown it. Granted, I managed to slip in a 360 and 727, but didn't even have the chance to rebuild them.

Basically, my to-do list of JEEP replacements and mods is LONG (she's fairly stock - can't believe I found her!). It is also totalling thousands of dollars at this rate. How do y'all do it?

Thanks for the input - it's like I've got some major itches that I can't afford to scratch!

canis

canis
Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: These JEEP bills are baffling!

i sleep outside and eat scraps to pay for my mods!!! I would rather have a nice flexy suspension than a hot meal anyday.

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout Dana44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA (YJ Springs), Weber 32/36, York OBA.

http://ctweb.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now Boston is a true Jeepster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

Just remember, if you budget "x" $ for an upgrade, plan on spending somewhere between "2x" & "3x" before you are done. Bolts that need to be replaced, lines that should be upgraded because you are there, bearings that are how old?, It all costs more!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 01:28 PM
Robert87yj

A lot of us do our own fabrication. That saves a lot of money[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

When you dont' have to support a corporate image or brand, the upgrades get a lot cheaper

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:05 PM

I own a Home, SUV, and a MotorHome, but I spend more time and more money on my 88JY than I do on the other three combined. My only salvation is my wife loves going offroad in our Jeep.

Happy Trails
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I feel your pain brother man! I am afraid to add up everything I've spent on my Jeep. That way I wont have a heart attack and not finish.
It helps me to convert all my expenses into "Jeep Units". (One Jeep unit = $100) That way when my wife asks: Are those new tires? How much did you spend this time? I just say, uh only 10 "Jeep Units". It just sounds cheaper that way!
This method can also be use for "Hunting Units"

They can kill you but they can't eat you! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 02:20 PM

I put my money into my Jeeps instead of moving out of the house, going out to eat (you can live off Pop-Tarts and Hoagies!), and making improvements to my sailboats (boats can be just as expensive as Jeeps!) I try to spend more money on tools than on shops to get the work done. I work a lot too, from early in the morning until dark (doesn't necessarily mean I make a lot of $$$, but it keeps me from spending it on something to occupy my free time.) and I dont have a girl-friend (and I rationalize this by telling my self that when my Jeep is done I will be able to impress all the girls with it.)

I believe someone here said it best in their tagline: "I eat, I breathe, I Jeep"

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 03:17 PM
Wrangler88

i used to wonder that same question to, but when u become a jeepaholic like most of us here, you MUST HAVE YOUR MONEY FOR IT!!< i've sold my kidney and a lung and sell drugs for my jeep even kill people so i can afford stuff, hahha just kiddng, if your that bad u need help, i think for most people its a hobbie like most things, so you try to save up for stuff, and yes it does take a long time to get a completed rig, if being complete is even possible, but, i used to collect model trains and had a hugh train set in my basement, well i don't anymore and i concentrait more on my jeep than anything else, i mean once u get in the mood u don't wanna stop, its relaxing and it makes u think what u can build next..theres so much that can be done, and when u sit back to look, you can say thats all you...its your own personal creation and nobody can say its not....kinda like feeling like a God, well maybe not that far, but ok i've writen way to much, OH NO MUST WORK GET MONEY FOR JEEP! heeh just kidding, have a good one!!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 03:20 PM

I sell my body on street corners,.... no wait, that wouldnt work, I would starve and have no jeep.
I use stock market profits for the most part.
But Im not above going to the junk yard and begging for good deals on parts.
And time, I have been building my YJ for 3 years,(but there has been an explosion of improvements over the last 8 months).

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode