Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Help identifying Hard Top (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/38109-help-identifying-hard-top.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-13-2000 12:16 PM

Help identifying Hard Top

I picked up a White Hard Top the other day and need help figuring out what Jeep it belongs to. I put it on my CJ7 and it was about 6 inches too short to the windshield. It also is a few inches short of the door frame and seems to have the door strikers on the hard top. It's missing the rear tailgate but the two side windows are perfect. It also has 4 (2 on the windshield and one on each side on the back) contraptions to hold the top down to the frame (no holes so that you can use nuts and bolts to hold top down). The top is not flat, towards the back it has some ridges. Anyone know what I am talking about? I will try to get some pictures.

One more thing, it's much lighter than my neighbors original Hard Top. I was able to pick it up myself and put it on the Jeep. It is fiberglass.

TIA

John C.

[email protected]

**DONOTDELETE** 09-13-2000 04:00 PM

Re: Help identifying Hard Top

Sounds like an Acme (?) aftermarket fiberglass CJ5 hardtop.
Shain

69CJ5 09-13-2000 04:17 PM

The top might possibly be a Meyers. They made fiberglass hard tops for CJ5's in the mid 1960's. I had one on a '64 CJ5.

Jerry

**DONOTDELETE** 09-13-2000 04:52 PM

It can't be that old. I am almost sure it's less than a year old.

Thanks for the info. ANyone want to buy it?

[email protected]

69CJ5 09-14-2000 07:09 AM

Sounds like you are trying to install a CJ5 top on a CJ7.
Since you believe the top to be quite new, two current manufacturers of CJ5 hard tops come to mind: AJ's and Glassline. Sounds like it would be a nice top for the right Jeep.

Jerry

**DONOTDELETE** 09-14-2000 11:04 AM

"It also is a few inches short of the door frame and seems to have the door strikers on the hard top."

It can't be an AMC Jeep hardtop if it has door strickers on the top. That rules out CJ-5's since 1976.
-Drew M.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-15-2000 10:57 AM

Drew, it fits perfectly on the sides and back of the tub but yet the strikers are on the hard top. The door handles would have to be about 6 to 8 inches higher to align. Strange, huh?

Do you thinks it's for another Jeep? I'm trying to get some pictures but it's been raining and the top is on my CJ with a tarp over it right now.

Thanks for the help.

John

[email protected]

**DONOTDELETE** 09-15-2000 07:12 PM

I still think its an aftermarket CJ 5 top. Someone mentioned AJs or Glassline as current manufacturers. I've got a busted one off a 5 with the lock down latches, ridges and light weight you describe. For some reason I had it in my head that mine was an Acme top but I dont remember why I thought that. ln any event, I think thats what it is. Its not a factory metal top and sounds to new to be a Meyers fiberglass one.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-2000 09:12 AM

Here's a link to the pictures:

http://www.geocities.com/gian5grana/page6.html

What model top is it?

Thanks

[email protected]

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-2000 10:29 AM

My opinion is that its for a 76 or later CJ5. The length of the tub and the location of the striker latch would lend itself to a CJ5. The angle of the door cut out looks to great to be for a pre-76 CJ5.

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....